No announcement yet.

Windows XP Restrictions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Restrictions

I would like to find some guides to create a user account with restrictions on registry. For example: i want that a user to not have the possibility to install applications and use applications that can modify the registry. This is specially for not getting a virus that would mess up the os. I am famyliar with SteadyState from Microsoft, but i want to seek another solutions allthought. The computers aren't included in a Active Directory. Thankyou.

Re: Windows XP Restrictions

So long as the users aren't members of the Local Administrators Group on the computers that should cover your needs. Standard users can't install apps or access regedit by default in Windows XP.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

This would not disturb the functionality of allready installed apps? For example the internet navigation and the use of a mail client?

While we don't know what browser or mail client you're using, no it should not affect that. But you really should be testing that in your environment to find out for yourself.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Sorry, i was refering to internet explorer, mozila and outlook 2007. I shall test for evrey app and make a log so that i know what is good and what isn't. Thankyou very much for the answers.