No announcement yet.

Installation of Windows XP stuck after “to set up windows xp now…” with 500g HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of Windows XP stuck after “to set up windows xp now…” with 500g HD

Hi all,
    I just have the computer upgraded to a SATA 500g WD HD, but I'm stuck after this stage(http://www.petri.com/images/setup4.jpg) - After I pressed "ENTER" the computer frozen at "Please wait..." message. not disk or mem operation ever since.
    The BIOS recognized the HD by displaying the HD model in POST and the installation disk worked previously. any clues?
    Thanks,

Re: Installation of Windows XP stuck after “to set up windows xp now…” with 500g HD

Sounds like hardware (doh!)
    I would (if you can)
    a) try install on a different SATA drive (to check if everything else is working)
    b) If not, try different RAM
    c) Unplug everything except Video, CD/DVD and drive
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Installation of Windows XP stuck after “to set up windows xp now…” with 500g HD

Originally posted by kwib View Post
      Hi all,
      I just have the computer upgraded to a SATA 500g WD HD, but I'm stuck after this stage(http://www.petri.com/images/setup4.jpg) - After I pressed "ENTER" the computer frozen at "Please wait..." message. not disk or mem operation ever since.
      The BIOS recognized the HD by displaying the HD model in POST and the installation disk worked previously. any clues?
      Thanks,
      Hi Kwib,
      I once encountered a smilar problem. While installing XP, the installation got frozen. Later I realised that I'am trying to install a 32 bit Windows XP Beta version on a 64 bit Processor.
      So, just re-check from your side that your XP is of latest service packs and compatible for a 64 bit processor. Also, check if your processory is a 64 bit or 32 bit processor.

Regards,
      Madan Cheemakurthi

Comment

do you have another operating system boot disk you could try, like a BartPE rescue cd or anything ?
        maybe your media is bad

also.. windwos xp ealier than SP2 may have issues with disks >127GB...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Look in the BIOS and see if you have it set to AHCI. Try changing it to Compatible and then try installing. If you are not able to change the setting, download the SATA drivers for your motherboard chipset and use nLite to slipstream the drivers onto the XP CD.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by addressmadan View Post
            Hi Kwib,
            I once encountered a smilar problem. While installing XP, the installation got frozen. Later I realised that I'am trying to install a 32 bit Windows XP Beta version on a 64 bit Processor.
            So, just re-check from your side that your XP is of latest service packs and compatible for a 64 bit processor. Also, check if your processory is a 64 bit or 32 bit processor.

Regards,
            Madan Cheemakurthi
            doesn't a 64bit processor already support 32 bit OS? i've never had any issues installing 32 bit OS's on any pc with a 64bit ready processors.

Comment

Working...
            X