Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fix illegal copy of XP (split from AD forum)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix illegal copy of XP (split from AD forum)

Hi Fellow members,
    I am Daryl Stephenson I am Not Typing to help Hungry Snail.. Sorry.
    I am here because I would Like to have a Problem I have solved,
    I am Not sure if This is how I am supposed to do it but could any one help Me with My problem and advise me of how to use this forum corectly
    First off My question I would appreciate it some could help me fix
    The problem I am having is that My Brother downloaded a copied version of Xp Pro, I Do NOT KNOW WHY ?..
    I gave him the Origional disk I recieved when I first Bought my computer,
    But He downloaded the Bogie version and said it was better just dont download updates and they wont know ?
    Why Would I want to do that, I want the updates etc, so I did try and download an update and now 'Everytime I start My computer error from Microsoft My Brother just told me to keep delieting the ( You have a Non origional version of windows, click here to fix the problems, so I haveto just wait for it to time out and click fix Later.
    Is There anyway I can fix this without rebuying the disk or downloading the Non Stolen one and use the origional and not loose My Data ?
    Even if I bought a big external Harddrive , Could anyone please advise me of How to transfer all my computer contents onto the External Hardrive without doing it folder by folder
    I Do Not Like Using an illegal Version and why in the World would you download a Bohie version when You have the Legal one ?
    I recon He is a Scumbag and 'Must be Hiding something' Why would Anyone do That Anyway ?
    Anyway Thanks for letting me into the forums and any help I can give advise me would be Much appreciated!
    Thanks again Folks
    Respectfully Yours ,
    Daryl

Re: XP Help

Moved to Xp forum where this belongs

If you have the original CD (you say you do) and the product key sticker, just reformat, reinstall and you are OK (back up data first, obviously)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Click the link that says it will fix it Generally they'll just ask you to enter in the correct product key. Now product keys are linked to various versions of XP as well as by the manufacturer of the computer, so your only solution may be to wipe the computer.

If you don't feel comfortable backing up data, or reformatting it, take your computer to a professional.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: How to fix illegal copy of XP (split from AD forum)

To answer your question as to why the pirated copy might be "better", chances are that the copy he installed is what's known as a Volume Licence copy. This is intended for use by companies with a large number of computers (it is only available through resellers to business). VL copies do not require activating, as OEM (copies sold with a computer) and retail (copies bought from a shop) do.

An OEM or retail copy requires activating when you install it, and you can activate the copy 10 times. After that, you will need to phone Microsoft and they will activate it for you. Depending on where you are this may be a free phone call and as long as you just explain to them that you're reinstalling Windows on your computer they won't cause any hassle - the process takes less than five minutes. Chances are, the process will be automated (as in, the call is answered by a machine) anyway.

There are various pirated copies of Windows floating around the Internet with extra programs included on the disk - some free, some cracked versions of commercial programs. The trouble with this is that you have no way of knowing whether there is any spyware built into the disk. And because you can't get any Windows updates, your computer is therefore at much greater risk than one with a legitimate copy of Windows installed on it.

So in conclusion m'lud, you are far better off using your legal copy of Windows, safe in the knowlege that the disk hasn't been tampered with by malicious parties and that you are free to install security patches on your system. If necessary, less than 5 minutes on the phone to Microsoft once it's installed will get your system running

Here endeth the essay
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 12th September 2009, 14:20.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

If you have the original CD (you say you do) and the product key sticker, just reformat, reinstall and you are OK (back up data first, obviously)

ThankYou,
          Daryl Stephenson

Comment

Thanks for The Help , I am Still a bit unsure how to do it, Yep, I do Have the Product Key ..etc,
            Thanks for the help to Everyone that Answered Me
            Respectfully Yours,
            Daryl

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

Comment

Step 1 -- back up all useful data (not forgetting e.g. internet favourites, connection settings etc) to DVD, CD or removable hard drive
              Step 2 -- download network card drivers (just in case they dont install with XP)
              Step 3 -- boot your computer from the XP CD and follow on-screen instructions. I suggest a wipe and clean install rather than an "upgrade" - -enter your product key when requested
              Step 4 -- usual post install setup e.g. drivers, AV, windows update and so forth
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X