Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 VL Install Media

Total long shot this is, but here goes.

We have a Windows 2000 VL licence, however our VL disc has died a death and we need it to create a new DR image for our till system.

Does anyone know if a OEM/Retail disc will accept a VL key? Or where I can get hold of a Windows 2000 VL installation media from?

Any help is appricated

Thanks

Dave

Re: Windows 2000 VL Install Media

Originally posted by Dave_Lincs View Post
    Does anyone know if a OEM/Retail disc will accept a VL key?
    Best way to answer that would be to try it?

In any case, no I don't believe it will, from memory.

Originally posted by Dave_Lincs View Post
    Or where I can get hold of a Windows 2000 VL installation media from?
    Possibly from the Licensing website, TechNet or MSDN - a long shot though. First place to try would be your licence reseller, followed by Microsoft.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Best way to answer that would be to try it?

In any case, no I don't believe it will, from memory.

Possibly from the Licensing website, TechNet or MSDN - a long shot though. First place to try would be your licence reseller, followed by Microsoft.
      I will give it a go, but I belive the people creating the DR image have said that didnt work, but I will try.

Spoke to my reseller, no more discs in channel, when MS stopped supporting it MS recovered all their cds.

The indian woman on the end of the phone was not very helpful to say the least

But I will keep looking

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Worst case scenario, since 2000 doesn't need activating, you could just create an image using a retail key - a legitimate one you're allowed to use though. I would advise that you speak to Microsoft's licensing team before going down this route though to ensure that it wouldn't get you a slap on the wrist.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

EOpen is probably the best bet, although there's a good chance it's been pulled from there too. For reasons I don't fully understand no version of Windows 2000 appears on MSDN. I heard rumours it was due to the JVM dispute with Sun.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Could be, put pre-SP1a XP is still available on there, although maybe because Microsoft argued they can't pull it while XP is still supported. Can't imagine there's anyone out there running XP without at least SP1/1a though...
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Brave people if they are...
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X