• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange windows xp problem

Dear all,
    I have an odd problem with my computer.

These are my computer setup:
    - I installed windows xp pro sp-3, with driver installed properly.
    - Windows Firewall is off
    - No security installed, just a A/V scanner
    - Administrator rights
    - Create a share folder with full control to everyone

what i can are :
    1. i can ping to other computer
    2. i can browse share folder
    3. i can do remote desktop to other computer

but the problem is :
    1. other computer can not ping my computer
    2. other computer can not find my share folder

What i have done are :
    1. Scan the computer for virus, but nothing found
    2. using netsh to reset lan connection

Anyone can help me on this one....??
    I would be very greatfull if someone could help me
    Thanks,

Re: strange windows xp problem

What AV are you using? Does it include a firewall?

What are the IP addresses and subnet masks of the two computers, and how are they connected to each other?

Is there a firewall or other restriction in place on the other computer that could prevent it from communicating with yours?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      What AV are you using? Does it include a firewall?

What are the IP addresses and subnet masks of the two computers, and how are they connected to each other?

Is there a firewall or other restriction in place on the other computer that could prevent it from communicating with yours?
      Hi as i mentioned before below,
      1. its not an AV its only McAfee agent ( all computer installed with this )
      2. All computers are in the same domain
      3. All firewall are off, same with all the computers.

Comment

An IPCONFIG of the working machine and the faulty machine would be good.

Just because the machines are in the same domain does not mean that the IP addresses are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          An IPCONFIG of the working machine and the faulty machine would be good.

Just because the machines are in the same domain does not mean that the IP addresses are the same.
          hi,
          i use DHCP server, so there is no way the computer have diffrent subnet.

Comment

Have you tried pinging via the IP and Computer name? Also, why have you got a McAfee agent installed but no McAfee AV software?

Comment

So is the machine definately getting a DHCP address then and is not configured manually.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                Have you tried pinging via the IP and Computer name? Also, why have you got a McAfee agent installed but no McAfee AV software?
                as mentioned again before,
                tried to ping by ip and also by computer name result RTO.
                because i have McAfee enterprise (as a server) installed on server, so McAfee agent just pull the policy from the server.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  So is the machine definately getting a DHCP address then and is not configured manually.
                  yes correct

Comment

Have you tried to see if the directory finds the shared folder using \\<ip>\...., eg, \\192.168.1.200\sharedfolder ?

Do you have only one active LAN card on your computer?

Try also to run Hijackthis or Autoruns (from live.sysinternals.com) and see if there are any "strange" entries on them suggesting rootkits, virus or compromised LAN setup.

Comment

Originally posted by chaosky View Post
                      because i have McAfee enterprise (as a server) installed on server, so McAfee agent just pull the policy from the server.
                      You still need an AV client on the PCs as well as the agent. Are you sure you don't have AV installed. I run Mcafee VirusScan, client agents and ePolicy orchestrator/VirusScan on the server. Depending on how Mcafee is configured, it can block the connections you mention.

Comment

Also, a mention of pinging by IP has not been mentioned, just pinging of a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by CCharles View Post
                          Have you tried to see if the directory finds the shared folder using \\<ip>\...., eg, \\192.168.1.200\sharedfolder ?

Do you have only one active LAN card on your computer?

Try also to run Hijackthis or Autoruns (from live.sysinternals.com) and see if there are any "strange" entries on them suggesting rootkits, virus or compromised LAN setup.
                          mmm......never done this before.
                          how do you use it..?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                            You still need an AV client on the PCs as well as the agent. Are you sure you don't have AV installed. I run Mcafee VirusScan, client agents and ePolicy orchestrator/VirusScan on the server. Depending on how Mcafee is configured, it can block the connections you mention.
                            for the server i also installed all that.
                            but for each client only agent.
                            and but only 1 user have the problem.

Comment

mmm......never done this before.
                              how do you use it..?
                              Try them and see, or search? They both have documentation...
                              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                              X