Wireless Zero Configuration service not running but set to Automatic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Zero Configuration service not running but set to Automatic

I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem... Users at my company have been complaining of not being able to access network resources(web, file servers, etc). We image computers here, and I want to say this image we used was from January of this year. It had SP3, and all the updates that were available around that time. Not all the affected computer are the same make or model. We noticed that the Wireless Zero Configuration service was set to "Automatic", but service wasn't started. What we found that temporarily fixed the issue was to log off the user. Log into the machine as a Administrator account. Go to Computer Management and start the WZC service. Once the service was started the problem would go away for a while. The service will then stop and we then need to start it for the user again. I'm trying to figure out if some ms patch had done this.

Any clues?

Re: Wireless Zero Configuration service not running but set to Automatic

Do you have any 3rd Party Software installed that configures the Wireless Adapter settings?

Comment

Do they only connect via wireless? When they have problems accessing network resources have you verified that the wireless connection is not connected? Were the images sysprep'ed? Have you checked the WAP to see if there are issues there when the problem occurs?

Comment

The computers are "cloned" using a program called Universal Imaging Utility. It does use SysPrep to do some of the work, but it also includes 26,000 drivers for all type of business class desktops/laptops. Didn't mean for that to sound like a plug for the app.. It doesn't seem to install the wifi nic's software, but lets the WZC service handle the connection. This problem is happening at 3 different locations, so I don't think it is the access points.

Comment

I would have to say that it looks like the common component here is the imaging software. Maybe it doesn't handle the hardware quite the way it should. Each NIC has a unique GUID, if the imaging software doesn't handle this correctly but simply clones the NIC and installs the appropriate driver then I could see that causing some flakiness. On one of the computers that regularly has the problem try uninstalling the wireless NIC and reinstalling it and see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

The software blows out the hardware on the "template" machine. So, this means,
            when the image is cloned to a hard drive, it redetects all the hardware. Also, we have ben using this software for a while now, so I don't think it should be causing this. Also, the wireless works,when you restart the WZC service.

I failed to mention.. We are using WPA for wireless encryption..

I also failed to mention I know one other person having the same issue with WPA/wireless.

This friend of mine disabled wpa on his access points(don't ask me why) and tested all his laptops without encryption. His issue went anyway.... Now with that being said, he disabled the encryption to solve the issue!! That isn't a option..

Comment

The funny thing is, is that the Wireless Zero Configuration service is used to configure the connection, not to maintain it. Also, in NIC's that have their own wireless management utility, the Wireless Zero Configuration service isn't used at all. When the NIC manufacturers utility is used the Wireless Zero Configuration goes into a stopped state even though it's set to Automatic startup. Could there be some conflict between the NIC management utility and the Wireless Zero Configuration service in terms of which one is being used to manage the wireless connection?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                The funny thing is, is that the Wireless Zero Configuration service is used to configure the connection, not to maintain it. Also, in NIC's that have their own wireless management utility, the Wireless Zero Configuration service isn't used at all. When the NIC manufacturers utility is used the Wireless Zero Configuration goes into a stopped state even though it's set to Automatic startup. Could there be some conflict between the NIC management utility and the Wireless Zero Configuration service in terms of which one is being used to manage the wireless connection?

UIU didn't install any wireless nic software that would have been provided by the manufacturer. Also, evry time I have setup a laptop(ny hamd using a xp discs), it seems optional to install the manufacturers management utility. I've always opted for Windows to handle it.

Comment

The thing is, I stopped the Wireless Zero Configuration on my laptop and it had no affect on the connection once it was established so I'm not sure if that's the right track to troubleshoot.

Now, if the NIC loses the connection and the service is stopped the NIC won't be able to reconnect but it seems that the problem is that the NIC loses it's connection, not that the service is stopped. It might be a "chicken or the egg" problem. Which comes first, the service stopping or the connection being lost.

Is there anything in the event logs on the machines? Any logging on the WAP?

Comment

Nope, nothing in the log. What some other technicians have noticed is if they disable hibernation on the laptop the issue goes away. It seems hibernation might be the issue. I searched MS site and there was a patched released for this issue. The patch was included in SP3, which is the SP we are on..... I'm still in the dark with this issue.

Comment

hibernate... hmmm... Is there any power management feature enabled on the wireless NIC?

Comment

Yes, we do use a "flavor" of sysprep. It's called UIU.

http://www.uiu4you.com/uiu_description.html

Also, we do not install any 3rd party apps for the wireless. The hard wire connection will still continue to work. The wireless is the only connection with the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                          hibernate... hmmm... Is there any power management feature enabled on the wireless NIC?

Yes there is, and we have checked out that possibility. A few techs have disabled that feature on laptops having that issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X