Why windows update icon didn't show on taskbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why windows update icon didn't show on taskbar

Yesterday I'm fornatted my computer and I want to update my OS.but I have 2 problem

first the windows update icon didn't show on taskbar.But I turn on automatic update (Download update for me,but let me choose when to install them).

So I try goto http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us to use on website update,but I discover second problem.My ISP have problem to connect update.microsoft.com.

Can I fix the windows update icon in the taskbar.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And I have another problem is not related windows update
    The problem is my taskbar was always on top any notification ballon.
    I cannot be described as a speech please look in image.
    How I change it.

Thankyou
    Last edited by exssrerion; 26th August 2009, 10:13.

Re: Why windows update icon didn't show on taskbar

Could the answer to your second question be as simple as right clicking the task bar, going to properties and selecting the tick box for "keep the task bar on top of other windows? "

I hope so!

Fraze

Comment

Sometimes the notification balloons show up behind the taskbar. It's a glitch. Reboot your machine to fix it.

As for the Windows Updates icon in the system tray: it only shows when it has downloaded updates or when it needs to notify you that there are available updates to download. The WU component runs at the time you specify in Control Panel, plus or minus an offset that it calculates. There are other settings that determine when WU run as well, such as when an update cycle is missed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        As for the Windows Updates icon in the system tray: it only shows when it has downloaded updates or when it needs to notify you that there are available updates to download.
        It also shows while it is in the process of downloading updates - hover over it to see the % complete.

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        The WU component runs at the time you specify in Control Panel, plus or minus an offset that it calculates. There are other settings that determine when WU run as well, such as when an update cycle is missed, etc.
        If in doubt, run wuauclt /detectnow to force it to run within the next few minutes, rather than waiting until it is next scheduled to run.

As Joe has pointed out, there are various places other than in Control Panel where it can be disabled (Group Policy or the Registry), but if this is a clean install of XP and you're not joined to a domain, then you would likely know if either of those applied.

Presumably the user you're logged in as is an administrator?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I think the answers to your question is one of the answers by Fraze and Joeqwerty.

The icon will appear only when the updates to be downloaded or when downloading the updates.

Comment

Working...
          X