Full Control NTFS and Share but still only have Read access on Win XP Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Control NTFS and Share but still only have Read access on Win XP Pro

I have a Windows XP PRO SP3 machine in an NT 4.0 domain. I am trying to create a shared directory on this machine.

At this point I'm not interested in best practices, I'm just trying to get the share working so I've given Everyone, Authenticated Users, and Domain Users/Admins full control in both NTFS and Share permissions.

Despite the wide open permissions whenever I connect to this share (with an administrator account or otherwise) I cannot edit directory contents or create new files/folders. I get an access denied error message every time (exact error message is "Unable to create the file "FILE." Access is Denied.)

I've double checked the effective permissions for the user accounts I've connected with. I have created a share, removed all inherited permissions, and reassigned permissions from scratch. I have uninstalled and reinstalled "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" on my network interface. I have both created shares and connected to those shares with multiple accounts (all with administrative credentials).

Despite these steps I am unable to modify or create directory contents in any of these shares?

Has anyone else come across such an issue or perhaps see a troubleshooting step I might have missed?

Re: Full Control NTFS and Share but still only have Read access on Win XP Pro

I found two more machines in our organization that had the same issues with their shares.

I noticed a common element in each machine was that they had all come from another Domain which we had shutdown a while back. They were joined to our current Domain no problem but I wonder if they were still trying to reference an old DC or if there was some weird permission that was dependent on the old Domain.

I ended up reinstalling my machine though, so I guess this one will remain a mystery.

Comment

Working...
    X