Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

    Hi All,

    I am wondering if it is possible to install Windows XP/Vista/Windows7 on USB stick then would it be possible to use that USB stick on any computer machine and get start working on that OS?

    I don't know how to install OS on USB stick and then how to use it on other machine also?

    Please guide me how to do it.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Amitesh

  • #2
    Re: Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

    Why do you want to do this?

    Originally posted by amitesh8 View Post
    I am wondering if it is possible to install Windows XP/Vista/Windows7 on USB stick
    Yes, but not recommended - you would likely see reduced performance due to the IO speed of USB devices, a big enough pen drive is still relatively expensive, and pen drives tend to "wear out" faster than hard disks.

    Originally posted by amitesh8 View Post
    would it be possible to use that USB stick on any computer machine and get start working on that OS?
    No, Windows can experience problems when core hardware changes. Even if you did get it to work, you would have to reactivate Windows every time you changed computer - after a few times you would have to phone Microsoft to do so.

    Originally posted by amitesh8 View Post
    I don't know how to install OS on USB stick
    The same way you install it on a hard disk, if the machine's BIOS supports it.
    Gareth Howells

    BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

    Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

    Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

    "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

      Maybe SLIGHTLY


      But you CAN however, create a bootable install USB disk (Which is OH so much faster than a CD/DVD!!)

      DJ
      Daniel John
      A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

      "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."


      ************************************************** **********************
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
      ************************************************** **********************

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

        Try looking at WinPE or BartPE, both of which can be created on bootable USB keys and both are good for trpubleshooting various machines when their OS fails to load
        Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

          Originally posted by amitesh8 View Post
          Hi All,

          I am wondering if it is possible to install Windows XP/Vista/Windows7 on USB stick then would it be possible to use that USB stick on any computer machine and get start working on that OS?

          I don't know how to install OS on USB stick and then how to use it on other machine also?

          Please guide me how to do it.

          Thanks and Regards,

          Amitesh
          Windows isnt designed for that. Thats not to say it cant be done but i wouldnt recommend it. The performance would be horrible. Linux on the other hand CAN do this. DSL (Damn Small Linux) can be installed to a USB stick and has a footprint of no more than 50MB or so.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Install OS on USB stick and use it on any machine!!!!

            Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Why do you want to do this?



            Yes, but not recommended - you would likely see reduced performance due to the IO speed of USB devices, a big enough pen drive is still relatively expensive, and pen drives tend to "wear out" faster than hard disks.



            No, Windows can experience problems when core hardware changes. Even if you did get it to work, you would have to reactivate Windows every time you changed computer - after a few times you would have to phone Microsoft to do so.



            The same way you install it on a hard disk, if the machine's BIOS supports it.
            MS wouldnt even support it.

            Comment

            Working...
            X