No announcement yet.

Windows Explore hangs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Explore hangs

getting in issue opeing my computer or explore from right click on the Start button. Again, hangs when trying to open the full list of folders on explore. Only way out is to kill explore session, and then thru Task bar manaully start explore.exe.

No network shared folders are mapped and the sysytem runs on Symantec Antivirus soluition.

this issue is happening for past 3-4 days.

Pls advise what could be the issue. Thanks

Re: Windows Explore hangs

Which version, edition, architecture and SP of Windows? Is it fully up to date?

What happened 4 days ago?

Have you tried disabling Symantec?

Any problems in the event logs?

Any mapped drives?

Does this problem affect other users on this computer? If you're on a domain with a roaming profile, does the problem follow you to other computers?

Please give as much detail as possible when posting questions.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

there are no changes done recently. I tried with the following steps.

1. Rebooted the system in Safe mode and found there is no issue in it.

2. Rebooted the system in normal mode and disabled the option of anutomatically search for network folderss and printers

3. Scanned the system with AV and AS and found nothing found.

The system runs on Windows XP ( SP2) and the AV Symentec Client Security (

This is a laptop and the user logs in with domain login even from out side with out connectivity to our corporate n/w

I found suspisious on one thing in My network place hhe has something of our server share in Local network option. But i couldnot delete the same

Sounds like it could be as simple as a system file being corrupted. You could try an XP repair installation. Now, why would a system file go corrupted? That is the larger question that could be explained either by "bit rot" or malicious behavior.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: