Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sync folders offline

Hi,

I am syncing entire directories with subdirectories on my file server with my laptop. If I create a new subfolder offline on my laptop, it syncs fine to the server on next connect. But when I create a new subfolder on the server from a different computer, the sync on my laptop will not pick this one up. Somehow the offline file services don't scan for new subfolders on the server. Does anyone know how to fix or work around this?

Thanks in advance, J

Re: sync folders offline

What OS and SP on the client and server? Have you checked that it's not a permissions issue with the folder? What have you tried to fix this?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I was a little ahead of myself: I am getting a new LaCie 2big server for home next week and want to use these functions described below. I am testing this ahead of time on my company's server (don't know its OS). The laptop has XP SP2.

The problem is that new folders created from third parties on the server don't sync into the laptop even though the parent folder with all subfolders has originally been set up for offline availability. New folders created on the laptop sync fine to the server, only the reverse direction has a problem. Can anybody tell if this is supposed to work?

Thanks again, J

Comment

Does your user account have permissions to the new folder? If so, what permissions exactly?

Comment

I have read, write, execute, modify, list contents permission, everything but full control and special permissions.

Comment

Are you the owner of the folder?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Don't know, how can I find out?

Comment

The Advanced button on the security tab.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=win...how+file+owner
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I am not the owner, it is the user who created the folder.

Comment

Right click on some whitespace in the root of the directory containing this folder. Go to the Security tab, click Advanced and click on the Owner tab. Tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and press ok.

Now try synchronising and see if the directory shows up.

Note that if you change the ownership of a folder it may affect people's access to it, depending on the permissions in place. As always before making such a change, document the current settings.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have permission to change the ownership. But the idea is to synchronize files which are being created and edited by multiple users. Do I need to acquire an advanced Windows degree to do this?

Comment

After reading several blog posts regarding this issue it seems to me that the changes to Vista's Offline Files mechanism now uses a "per user rule" to initiate synchronization and only syncs files and/or folders that the user is the owner of, even if the user has NTFS permissions to the files and/or folders.

As a test you could log on to another workstation as yourself and create a new folder and /or file and then log on to your own workstation as yourself and see if it syncs the new items, or is that what you did as related in your original post? It wasn't clear as to whether you did this on another computer as yourself or another user. If it syncs after this test then I'd say it's working as intended.

Comment

Keep in mind that it's XP on the laptop though, not Vista.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Ah, right. What OS is on the server?

It may require Full permissions. You can set the permissions to Full as a test and then set them back.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I can test these things as you suggested, but it will still not fix my problem regardless of what the result of the test is.

I want to sync all changes made to a network folder, regardless by which user changes were made. I have sufficient permissions to read/write/modify all files made by all other users who access this folder. So I can do all this manually, only the OS somehow does not perform this simple task. If XP cannot reliably do this, is there a simple software you can recommend to get this job done?

Comment

Working...
                              X