C:/windows/system32/config/system is missing. Now other problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C:/windows/system32/config/system is missing. Now other problems

Originally posted by zer0ness

Hello all.

My problems first started when I restarted and my computer said C:/windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt and it wouldn't load up. I Went to recovery console and renamed all of them to .bak and moved them to a tmp folder, then I went to the repair folder and copied those to the config folder. I Rebooted and got the "Your computer failed to start successfully blah blah" and get safe mode, last good config (doesn't work) and normal. I go to normal and get the win xp loading screen but after that it just stays black. If I try any safe mode options, it stays hanging in agp40.sys.

After that, I try going to recovery console again and my password isn't recognized! It used to be blank and now it doesn't work. I tried the offline nt password recover method but when it says it loads the SAM and Sofyware and System, I go to edit them but then it gives me with "ERROR: SAM hive not loaded!" or "Software hive not loaded and that is where recovery console settings are..."

so now I am completely STUCK! The desktop I'm on has 128 MB RAM for XP and 400 MB processor... so I REALLY want my laptop back. Any help is appreciated... I am going to try the Emergency Boot Disk method tomorrow and see if the loader works.
    I am having the same problem, can someone help us?

Re: C:/windows/system32/config/system is missing. Now other problems

Moved from a Sticky in the Forgot Administrator Password Forum.

kaiuaki, please post a more descriptive explanation of your problem and suggest a better title than the one I have given it so more members will be enticed to read and contribute answers to your problem. Thanks.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015