Notebook can not "see" USB devices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook can not "see" USB devices.

My work notebook all of a sudden can not see any USB modules nor my Blackberry as a USB hard drive. I'm not quite sure what has changed as I am one of two AD admins.

The notebook is governed by domain-wide GPOs, but I've looked thru all the GPOs and nothing is restricting USB access.

When I plug a USB device in, for example my 8 GB USB stick, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the Tray shows the device in question, alas with no assigned drive letter. This is the problem!

Can anyone suggest where I can start looking for a solution? Thanks.

Notebook is WindowsXP SP2.

PS. There is a GPO which restricts USB access, BUT, this does not apply to my workstation.
    Attached Files
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Notebook can not "see" USB devices.

Check your local disk managment cosole. Select my computer right click and then select manage. Or you can go there by typing diskmgmt.msc in Run. See if your USB device listed there. If it is listed assign drive letter to USB and then your USB drive will be listed in my computer

Comment

Hmmm. Looks like a bigger issue than I first thought. I signed into my notebook with my admin account, as my normal AD account is not an admin, and opened Disk Management, and all I can see is the two DVDROMs/CDROMs and nothing else!

I checked the Event Viewer and found this:
      Event Type: Error
      Event Source: LDMS
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 3023
      Date: 12/08/2009
      Time: 9:40:37 AM
      User: N/A
      Computer: S1KB6L1S
      Description:
      The Logical Disk Manager Service failed while registering for device handle notifications on device \\?\STORAGE#RemovableMedia#7&fe382dc&0&RM#{53f5630 d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}. Win32 Error: 565.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
      What could be going on?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

are you trying to insert usb ver 2 device into usb version 1 port?

Comment

So the local drive C doesn't even show up?

When I have had issues with USB, I have tended to uninstall all the USB drivers via Device Manager and restart the computer. You need to make sure your not using a USB mouse/KB though.

Comment

Working...
          X