Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 98 to Xp Pro

Hello,

i have an old tiny pc from around 1997 -98 ? and i was wondering is it possible to do a upgrade to xp on it ?

do i just put in a xp install disk and 98 will reconise it and upgrade it ?

do i have to wipe the hdd ?

Please help

Ajw901

Re: Windows 98 to Xp Pro

Check the hardware specs before you start!
    98 to XP Pro is a supported upgrade path but a fresh install is normally the best option
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yeah i looked on microsofts web site and my pc meets the specs.

i just wanted to know whats the best way

Thanks ossian

Ajw901

Comment

Second Google result for "upgrade 98 to xp"... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

"Best way" is your judgement call
          You can do an inplace upgrade, but this will leave all the legacy c**p from your 98 install

IMHO, unless there are installed applications you really cannot reinstall from fresh, do a backup of your data and a clean install
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X