Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uninstalling Outlook Express from XP Pro ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstalling Outlook Express from XP Pro ?

I have MS Office 2000 insalled on XP Pro SP3. Recently , each time I open Outlook I get a message saying that Outlook requires O.E. v. 4.0 OR < to be installed for Outlook to run.

If I ignore this message and continue Outlook starts and behaves otherwise normally . This has only begun to happen within the last few months and I can't think of anything I've done to cause this as , before , Outlook opened without this message .

I have O.E. v 6.00.2900.5512(xpsp.080413_2105) installed in fact.

I have already posted on this subject in this forum and followed a suggestion in that post without success.

However the reason for this post is because I now would like to try to uninstall O.E. and re-install it to see whether this will resolve the problem .

So , my questions , therefore , are :-

Is it possible to uninstall O.E. from XP Pro ? &

How do you uninstall O.E. ?

Re: Uninstalling Outlook Express from XP Pro ?

A quick Google search reveals that it might not be a cut and dry operation. It looks like you'll have to do some manual registry hacking. Backup your PC completely (preferably using an image) before trying anything. Let us know how it goes!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      A quick Google search reveals that it might not be a cut and dry operation. It looks like you'll have to do some manual registry hacking. Backup your PC completely (preferably using an image) before trying anything. Let us know how it goes!
      Yes - that's the impression I got from a similar search - I posted here in case someone had already tried it before I plunged in !

I use image files all the time as I'm an inveterate "tinkerer" - I'll report back on the result.

Comment

On the Windows XP pro systems here at work I go into Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left side, scroll down to the 4th check box from the bottom for the Outlook Express entry and uncheck it, and click the usual OK buttons etc. and let it uninstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by biguana View Post
          On the Windows XP pro systems here at work I go into Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left side, scroll down to the 4th check box from the bottom for the Outlook Express entry and uncheck it, and click the usual OK buttons etc. and let it uninstall it.
          That doesn't actually "remove" Outlook Express, rather confusingly all it does is remove access to the shortcut from the start menu. It's the same for IE, Media Player and Messenger, you can still launch them from the command line but the shortcuts are gone from the start menu and/or the desktop.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I figured as much. Just didn't want to type anything about assumptions

Seems stupid that it save 10's of megabytes of space on the disk just to remove shortcuts. MS is silly sometimes.

In my case, I just need to keep the user from clicking it on a start menu.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by biguana View Post
              Seems stupid that it save 10's of megabytes of space on the disk just to remove shortcuts. MS is silly sometimes.

Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

ha! i LOLed so hard from that little joke that my co-workers started looking at me weird. haven't seen that one before.

thanks

Comment

http://www.xkcd.com

A few of my favourites:

Escape Artist
                  Duty Calls
                  Real Programmers
                  Sandwich

The latter of which you can get on a tshirt
                  Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

G'day thenoo -

I sympathise with your needs. The first thing I did with my W2K Pro was get rid of OE -- which is considered to be such an essential part of MS Office it is as tightly bundled with the OS as IE is.

OK. Be prepared for major surgery, both heart and brain. I won't list all the steps here, there are plenty of sites with detailed walk-throughs. Just do a search on "uninstall outlook express windows 2000 xp".

Basically, you need to rename several account folders, delete or rename lots of files from several places, and hack the registry. Nonapeptide is absolutely right: Back It Up First!!!

Remember that 2K/XP have self-repair facilities, and will defend themselves -- OE is considered as "System files". Much of your surgery will be in the Windows backup folders. ALERT!!!! If you have your install CD copied to a HDD, delete/rename all accessible files from this copy! Windows will find it!

After I removed OE, I did ask myself what I had gained. I have to say, not very much. I have a 40GB C: drive, removing OE didn't gain me very much space. When I reinstall, I won't bother removing it. If I delete the shortcuts, it won't be visible. That's also the reason I haven't bothered with removing the MS fax. I installed my favourite fax app, and ignored the MS offering.

Gordon.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                      http://www.xkcd.com

A few of my favourites:

Escape Artist
                      Duty Calls
                      Real Programmers
                      Sandwich

The latter of which you can get on a tshirt
                      Awesome website!!

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings
                        Awesome website!!
                        But soo true though LoL, i've been going through them one by one over the last few days... been kinda quiet at work hahahaha, soooooo good
                        Daniel John
                        A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
                        ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Originally posted by djohn86 View Post
                          been kinda quiet at work
                          Our MD and the one senior manager who does... anything are both on holiday for the next 2 weeks, so it's pretty slow around here too. 2 guys were playing chess yesterday...
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                          X