Report on switched on PCs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report on switched on PCs.

We are getting grief from energy companies and our own clients to show our green credentials. Currently, alot of users are leaving their machines on overnight even though we've asked them via mass email to ensure they're off. Obviously, there will be a few users who require them to be left on and will have a valid business justification for this and that is fine.

Is there anyway I can get "turned-on" pc's to do something at 12 midnight? Task shedule a script, update a database, create a txt file detailing their hostname on a share? Any ideas?

We just want to be able to get the hostname/username and approach the effected users.

Any help would be great.

Re: Report on switched on PCs.

Something like Angry IP Scanner can mass-ping an IP range and report the hostname of switched on computers as well as the username of logged-in users. It's scriptable too.

Or you could use some form of monitoring solution which offers 'at a glance' reports on who is logged on where.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I came across this a while back, might help in your travels.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sleep_activate
      http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._sleep_updates
      http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._comm_packages
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Something like Angry IP Scanner can mass-ping an IP range and report the hostname of switched on computers as well as the username of logged-in users. It's scriptable too.

Or you could use some form of monitoring solution which offers 'at a glance' reports on who is logged on where.
        This solution is half way there. We would want the solution to require no intevention. We would like the report to be automatically made/published so we can have a look at a glace. Angry IPScan requires someone to login, export etc every day.

Comment

I did point out that it is scriptable... did you not look at the command line usage instructions? It shows you exactly how have a report exported. Scheduled Tasks automates the process.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            I did point out that it is scriptable... did you not look at the command line usage instructions? It shows you exactly how have a report exported. Scheduled Tasks automates the process.
            I missed that, sorry. That's good. Anyway you know of that I can define the date in the filename? A script with filename.txt is only going to over-right itself daily.

Thanks.

Comment

%date% and %time% variables. Or something like now.exe from the Resource Kit. Or date.exe and time.exe. Or search the scripting forum - this has been discussed numerous times in there.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Take a look at Verdiem's "Edison" application. I wish I could give you more to go on than that. I did look into using it for a time, but other more important projects encroached. I think it might be able to help you out a bit in your quest to "go green". If you really want to go green take your next trip using Kilometers since Kilometers are shorter than miles.*

*Yes, I ripped that joke off from one of its many reprints on some random blog somewhere.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

can you not identify those computers that need to be left on and exclude them from a GPO to perfrom a scheduled shutdown at X hour?

Comment

Yes. Use security groups.

I'd advise using a script on a server run using scheduled tasks rather than configuring local scheduled tasks on each workstation to shut them down though, as sometimes you may need to prevent a computer from being shutdown with very little notice - as in, not enough time for a GP change to propagate. You can then just remove/comment out line in your script for that computer. Easiest way is to have a script which iterates through a file containing a list of computers.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                    X