Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to extract Win product key... from the CD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to extract Win product key... from the CD?

I'm referring to the thread http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=4899 (since the thread is already closed which seems I couldn't post any reply from there)

I have a very similar problem to the above thread, which I have an OEM Windows XP Home CD on my hand, with the produck key sticker missing.

I've contacted the local Microsoft office for a few times (via email andp hone) and was referred to contact the vendor where I got the OEM WinXP Home from.

The problem is that it's been a few years time since I bought the PC, and that vendor has already closed down the business. Microsoft replied that they have no way to provide a product key even I DO have the whole OEM CD pack (the green booklet - quick start guide, and the original installation CD) on my hand.

My question is, is there really "no way" to retrieve the product key from an OEM CD??? The interesting thing is, Microsoft is able to provide the installation CD if I can provide a valid product key.

Would there be any expert(s) here able to help me out on this? Thank you very much in advance!

Re: How to extract Win product key... from the CD?

Indeed you are out of luck, the sticker and the CD are not related.
    It is not possible to get the Key from the CD.
    Check the side of the computer for the key.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Generally you should not need the product key for an OEM installation, they normally auto-activate without it based on the system BIOS matching what it expects to find as I recall.

There is a file on most OEM DVDs called pid.txt which will contain a product key, I've had to use this in the past to get OEM copies of Vista to activate when installed via WDS. The file is located in the sources directory on the DVD in Vista, dunno where it would be for XP.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you for your information, Cruachan, i did find a product-key-like code from a file called PIDGEN.DLL on the Windows XP Home CD. However it is an incorrect code while typing it in during the installation.

Comment

If you can get the XP Home machine running even in Safe Mode, there is a chance you could get the key using Magic Jellybean.

If you have a brand name PC like Dell, Lenovo, Compaq then you may be able to obtain a Recovery CD from them at a nominal cost. It may have a Key built into the Recover Files.

Only other option I can think of is if you are a student and can purchase a student version of the software through your school.

For future reference (bit late now I know) I would make a hard copy (electronic file burnt to at least one CD ) of the software install numbers of any software you install on you machine
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

A piece of Software we use does this pretty well Belarc Software Advisor

DJ
            Daniel John
            A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
            ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Working...
            X