Internet Explorer redirect to local connection when in RDP session

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer redirect to local connection when in RDP session

I'm running Windows XP SP2 in Corporate environment with AD and internet access. Pull up Internet Explorer v7 and visit www.google.com no problem.

I RDP into a Windows 2003 server in our Corporate DMZ (used for inbound connections for citrix users), pull up Internet Explorer v7 and try to visit www.google.com - I get error: "Internet Explorer cannot display web page".
    This is because we don't allow outbound internet traffic from this DMZ I get that..

Here's my question or point... Someone suggested I configured IE within my RDP session to revert to my local IE connection for the purpose of web browsing, thusing allowing me to reach the Internet thru the local internet connection NOT from the remote session. My question is how do I configure this to work?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Joe

Re: Internet Explorer redirect to local connection when in RDP session

I think someone is pulling your leg. I have never heard of this and as far as I'm aware this is not possible.

You could run IE on your local machine outside of your RDP session but there's no way to make IE in your RDP session connect through your local machine/IE.

Comment

Well... I found out some more more information that will help clarify the problem and solution.

The solution is a Citrix KB article CTX113457 entitled Server-to-Client content redirection. The short description reads: Server-to-Client content redirection refers to the redirection of URL's from a ICA session to the client workstation to launch the local web browser. This can be done in a ICA-published application, a desktop session using Program Neighborhood or using Program Neighborhood Agent on the client workstation.

So... the problem statement I gave was a bit misleading althought I did mention the server was for remote citrix access. The goal wasn't to pull up IE by itself (because this isn't one of the published Citrix apps), but rather have the ability to click on a link within a published app (eg. outlook email) and have it fire up the local IE web browser.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my initial inquiry. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I need to test out the KB article solution and prove it works, but at least I'm pointed in the right direction. This discussion thread might need to be recategorized??

Joe

Comment

Thanks for filling us in on the additional info (sorry I missed the citrix part in your original post). That's very interesting and I'd like to know if it ends up working for you. Post back with your results.

Comment

Working...
        X