Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error during XP deployment using WDS - %machinename% in sysprep.inf does not work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error during XP deployment using WDS - %machinename% in sysprep.inf does not work

Hi there,

I am trying to deploy an XP image using WDS. I have saved the sysprep.inf file in the relevant folder hierarchy and the computer seems to be picking it up when I'm deploying the image. However, an error message appears during setup saying that the new computer name entered is not properly formatted. I have specified the computer name on the sysprep.inf file to be %machinename% so that the computer can keep the original name assigned to it in active directory but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Noor

Re: Error during XP deployment using WDS - %machinename% in sysprep.inf does not work

What about if you try... %COMPUTERNAME%?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Error during XP deployment using WDS - %machinename% in sysprep.inf does not work

Nope that doesn't work either. I'm trying to keep the original name of the computer that is listed in active directory and from the documentation, it seems that you would use %machinename% for the computer name but it doesn't seem to work.

Comment

Ah well, worth a try.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X