Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a file

Hi Friends,
    i am using XP SP3 i tried to cut and paste a document from one location to another. In that location the same name file which i tried to move occured and also that file is opened. While i moving the file an error occured Like "already using by another person" i clicked OK.
    Then i searching the file which i tried to move. i cant find that. Is there is any way to find that file.

Please help me out in this issue.

Thanks
    -PREM

Re: Lost a file

Far more detail required.

Originally posted by Forum Rule 4
    Carefully write your question, provide all the necessary information, spell-check it (if possible), and preview it before posting
    Is the computer a domain member? What sort of account are you logged in as? Can you restore it from your backup? Do you take volume shadow snapshots? Is it in the recycle bin?

Most importantly, what have you already tried?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,
      It is an Domain Network and i am asking about local system no backup will be taken for the local system.
      And also it is not in the Recycle Bin.

Please ask me if any other information required.

help me out in this issue..

Thanks
      -PREM

Comment

I would strongly suggest that if files lost from desktops are a problem, you look into taking backups. Particularly since you described the file as a document, suggesting it is 'work' not a system file.

What is the file?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is an word document.

Comment

If you go into the folder the file was in and right click in empty space, do you have an option to 'Undo Delete'?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I Cant find that option i also tried with "Ctrl+Z"

Comment

But the thing is i ddidnt delete the file it lost while i move from one place to another.

Comment

If you don't have a backup, chances are you won't be able to get it back, as I'm assuming you've already tried the methods Google suggests when you search for "windows xp undelete file" or similar.

Also, you can edit posts to add to them, you don't need to post twice in a row.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

There may be any way to solve any issue.
                    Are you sure it cant be done.

Comment

If you don't take backups, chances are much higher that you'll lose files. What have you tried already?

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                      If you don't have a backup, chances are you won't be able to get it back, as I'm assuming you've already tried the methods Google suggests when you search for "windows xp undelete file" or similar.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi gforce,
                        Thanks for the quick replies. please let me know if you come to know it can be done to recover files in this scenario.

Thanks

Comment

Again, what have you tried?

Google has THOUSANDS of suggestions. Have you tried ANY of them?
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes i searched in the google but i didnt get the correct solution for this.
                            This is the first site always my finger go when i open the IE.

Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

If the file has been deleted and you have no backups and the user has been using the machine then i reckon your gonna be out of luck getting the file back.

You mentioned that the file was already open when you tried to move the file. WHo had the file opened???

How did you try to move the file?? Did you cut and paste or copy and paste??

Help us help you by giving some more details about what and where the file actually was, how you moved the file, etc, etc, etc

Comment

Working...
                              X