Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encoding acting up.....

IE started asking me to install Hebrew for certain web pages, but it is
    already installed. I click Cancel and sometimes it comes out OK and sometimes
    not (e.g., backwards, gibberish, etc.), and I have to start playing with
    Encoding. Now I see that the Default encoding setting in the International Read Settings--Hebrew (Windows)--is grayed out! How can I get it back, and why did the computer suddenly start thinking I don't have Hebrew installed? Never had any trouble before.
    --
    Thanks for the help!
    Janet in Jerusalem
    XP PRO
    IE 6

Re: Encoding acting up.....

First of all I would start upgradig IE 6 to IE 8.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

1. Sorry for delay in reply. I did not receive notification that someone had posted a reply.

2. I would upgrade to 7 if there is an easy way to do it which I could be assured would not mess with any of my IE and OE settings/data.

3. IE 8 is not an option.

4. Since IE 6 has always worked fine with Hebrew, I would simply like to set it back to the settings which allowed it to do so in the past. I have obviously changed something somewhere along the way which needs to be changed back. System restore is not an option, as many needed changes (addition of new software)have been made which I wish to retain.

Thanks for any help.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by janetb View Post
        2. I would upgrade to 7 if there is an easy way to do it which I could be assured would not mess with any of my IE and OE settings/data.
        Windows Update, or downloading the installer from Microsoft.

In any case, if your data is that important to you, you will already have backups in place...
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If I remember correctly, neither Windows Update nor the installer from MS give info regarding the difference between updating as opposed to installing, or info regarding transferring settings and data. If I am in error here, please send exact address of this information.

In any case, the easiest and fastest solution would be to return to my Hebrew-reading IE6. Anyone who knows about the reason for the grayed out field (see original post) and setting IE and OE for an English interface which is Hebrew-enabled would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

If there is a moderator, the last post (an advertisement for jewellery) should be deleted......

Comment

Working...
            X