DG45FC SATA/ICH10 driver for WinXP SP2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG45FC SATA/ICH10 driver for WinXP SP2

I am having trouble installing WinXP SP2 on an Intel DG45FC (mini-ITX) motherboard. This motherboard has no PATA interface and no PS2. So CD/DVD is SATA, HDD is SATA, Mouse is USB and Keyboard is USB.

Just to confirm it is WinXP SP2 I wish to install, I don't wish to go directly to SP3 at this time, since one of the purpose of the unit it to perform software compatibility testing with SP2 and then SP3 at a later date.

This means I can not install from CD, since the install process hangs right after I press any key to boot from CD. I suspect this is due to being SP2 and due to SATA based CD drive.

However I do have a working PXE and RIS setup, this is using Linux as the server element of the process. I have performed many WinXP installations using this setup without requiring to insert a CD at all.

Although I use the term RIS for the remainder of this posting I really mean my version of RIS that uses TFTP server and Samba file server on Linux, not the official Microsoft RIS tool chain.

The problem is the BSoD after the reboot, error 0x0000007B. I am able to with PXE+RIS get through the entire text-mode install (load F6 driver, detect storage, partition, format NTFS, copy file, setup registry and then reboot). Upon reboot within a few seconds of first seeing the graphical Windows XP logo and before any graphical install dialog appears I get my BSoD.

The motherboard BIOS has been updated, and it has 4 modes of settings.
    * Legacy (text-mode setup work, BSoD on reboot)
    * Native with IDE (text-mode setup work, BSoD on reboot)
    * Native with RAID (this mode does not interest me since I do not wish to use Intel RAID support and only 1 HDD is present in this tiny PC, mini-ITX form factor motherboard).
    * Native with AHCI (the F6 driver I have does not work, I get to the text-mode setup but no storage can be found, so I can not proceed to partition it).

There appears to be no difference between "Legacy" and "Native with IDE" from my point of view. I have successfully installed Vista and Linux on this same system. All Vista needed was "Legacy" to be set in the BIOS to install from CD.

To be crystal clear about the hardware I have installed the information from Vista/Linux report for following descriptions and PCI PnP ids :

"Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller2 - 3A26" => PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A26&.....
    "Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller1 - 3A20" => PCI\CEN_8086&DEV_3A20&.....

I notice in this forum thread it talks

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=35257&page=3

Since confirms what I have found that the ONLY drivers from Intel with these specific PCI PnP ids listed is the Intel Chipset Driver (not the Matrix Storage driver!) . When inspecting this package (by running the EXE and manually digging out the extract file from C:\User\myusername\AppData\Temp\ etc...) I have the files:

All/ibexid2.cat
    All/ibexid2.inf
    All/ibexide.cat
    All/ibexide.inf

However they do not seem to link to any *.SYS file, so where is the damn driver ?

So my next question is, since I do not use any "sysprep", how might I merge these *.INF and *.CAT files into my PXE+RIS setup ?

Also how do these INF and CAT files instruct WinXP as to which driver file to use ? As I can not see any.
    Last edited by dmiles; 9th July 2009, 18:21.

Re: DG45FC SATA/ICH10 driver for WinXP SP2

Sys files often are the actual driver, but what windows needs is the inf file as this tells it what files are needed for the device to function.

Perhaps you could use this procedure to slipstream the drivers onto a CD though?
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

When you load the drivers from the F6 process during setup you need to txtsetup file.

Same person as here???

http://communities.intel.com/message/42432

Comment

Have you tried using nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers onto the XP installation CD? http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Have you tried using nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers onto the XP installation CD? http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
          Already been mentioned in the intel thread biggles

Comment

I am not having a good decade am I Wullie.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hmm let me think about that one..........

Probably a better decade than me

Comment

Working...
              X