No announcement yet.

Unable to login to Windows XP - User Accounts & Password Prompt box is missing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to login to Windows XP - User Accounts & Password Prompt box is missing

Hey all,

I am new to this forum, however i have encountered an issue with one of the netbooks in our office and this forum was suggested to me. So at that I would like to thank everyone in advance for any advice they may send my way.

The Problem
    Today one of the ladies in my office brought me her computer with an issue that i can't for the life of me figure out. Her ACER AspireOne Netbook seems to have lost its ability to provide user accounts and password prompt.

The netbook is running Windows XP Home edition, and upon start-up it appears to be functioning normally as it should. However, after the welcome page with the scrolling bar, when it should prompt the user for a password, the screen only shows the windows XP logo and no dialog box or user accounts.

I have tried running in safe mode at which point the computer will show you the desktop shortly before then bringing you back to the page where the login should be.

I have also tried restoring the computer to the last working settings however it still continues to bring me to the user account / password screen (which lacks the presence of a dialog box).

I feel at a loss not being able to get windows started and attacking the issues from inside, I feel that i have been locked out of my own house. Ahhh

Making matters more difficult is that the ACER AspireOne Netbook does not have a CD-ROM.

Is there anybody out there who may have any suggestions or may have expereinced a similar issue through there own travels??

Re: Unable to login to Windows XP - User Accounts & Password Prompt box is missing

Have you tried pressing ctrl+alt+del twice?

Also, I'm no expert, but the fact that the desktop will briefly appear before the login screen seems a little odd.

Do all start options present you with the same screen? Can you get to a command prompt in Safe Mode, for example?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Re: Unable to login to Windows XP - User Accounts & Password Prompt box is missing

All start options that are available through the F8 menu bring me to the same screen that is missing the password / user account dialog box.

The only difference is that when starting in any of the safe modes, the desktop displaying a black background, no icons, no start menu, and the 'safe mode' in all four corners will show briefly (few seconds) before going to the blank login screen.

I find this issue to be a bit puzzling myslef. Seems to have occurred spontaneously.

Any ideas, as to what may be causing this??

Thanks again

Comment

Have you tried pressing F8 just after POST and choosing Last Known Good Configuration? If she hasn't logged on then it should work.

How many work in the office and why do you have XP Home in an office environment? (Curiosity question)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, this is also a route that i have tried. Seems that no matter what i choose in the F8 prompt screen, i get the same results...a blank login screen with no dialog box to into.

Now another question that arises is...If the only way to get this netbook back to working order is too re-install or repair windows. How, does one go about doing this without a CD-ROM. Is it possible to boot from a USB Port??

Installing an external would be easiest, however at this point is still impossible without access to Windown XP itself, right?

----------------------

Since our office is a marketing research firm, we do a lot of on-site work, at sporting events, etc. In the past we would use paper surveys to gather the information we need, however in recent times we have found that collected information digitally is much more cost effective. While you may not be able to determine someone's hand writing, everyone can read arial font. We bought a large number of these Netbooks and PDAs for this reason. When purchasing we found that the only available OS were linux or Windows XP home, so we went with XP for software purposes mainly.

The rest of our PCs and laptops aren't running on XP home, because you are right...that would be a bit silly.

Comment

Did you try a double <ctrl><alt><del> to get to the classic login prompt?

Comment

Re: Unable to login to Windows XP - User Accounts &amp; Password Prompt box is missing

sorry, didn't see the already posted suggestion

Comment

Re: Unable to login to Windows XP - User Accounts &amp; Password Prompt box is missing

Is she willing to buy a USB DVD/CD drive? Or better still, borrow one?

Edit:
                Ahh - but you won't be able to use it unless you can get the BIOS to boot from it. Any support from Acer?
                Last edited by Blood; 7th July 2009, 18:44.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Well as it turns out the only way to salvage this netbook is to re-format and begin from scratch.

While the people from ACER have been little help. I did get a tip from someone who suggested using the 'ACER eRecovery Management', a built-in system that is accessible by pressing ALT + F10 while booting the system.

However the only choice you have once taking this path is to restore all factory settings and overwriting the HD. I guess it is a good thing that these netbooks are only used for on-site work and are always backed up onto external drives once back in the office. All files and software on this computer will be lost.

This is however useful to know in the case it happens to another of our netbooks or if anyone else encounters this issue in the future.

Thank you everyone for your time and knowledge. It is much appreciated.

This problem has been solved!!

Mike

Comment

The HDD can be removed, attached to another machine by means of a USB connection and the data saved.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X