Mouse konks out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse konks out

My old Intellimouse Optical USB mouse keeps konking out on me--either its light goes out or it freezes. I can fix it simply by unplugging and replugging (USB) without having to reboot, but I am having to do this more and more often--to the point that it is really annoying. Sounds like a bad connection, but these parts never move, so it shouldn't change. Can this be remedied--does something perhaps need to be cleaned or do I need a new mouse? Never had any problems with it before. Are there elements of a mouse or a hub that wear out? It's on a hub with a separate power source. Yes, I tried changing ports. Is there a way to test a hub? To test its power source?

Thanks for the help!
    Janet
    XP Professional

Re: Mouse konks out

Do you get the same issue if you directly connect the mouse to the PC?
    Is there anything else on the USB Hub? Do the other peripherals on the Hub get the same issue??

DJ
    Daniel John
    A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't know of a way to test a USB hub. Some of the more electrically minded among us would be able to tell you how to test a power supply. Why I'm entering this discussion is because I have similar results with my external Cables2Go USB hub (which has its own power supply). Sometimes devices on it will just disappear and then reappear moments later. Some days things drop off and come back on repeatedly for hours. Some entire months go by without an issue. Which brings me to:
      • Does anything else on the hub do the same thing?
      • Have you tried cleaning out the male connector on the mouse? I'd put some isopropyl alcohol on a bit of cotton and swab it around gently with tweezers. Some canned air to blow out any left-behind cotton fibers would be nice as well.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Normaly i Buy usb hubs, and i keep one thing in mind, it's better to buy a good branded one with external power on it. Normaly i use the Dlink USB hub and no problem here, none of thos cheap chinese usb hubs, only give problems. Any way is your computer recent? or it's old ? Does it only happen with the mouse? or it happens with usb pen drives or printers?

Regards
        Kevin

Comment

The reason a self-powered USB hub requires external power is not to power the hub (which is largely a passive device) but to supply maximum power to USB devices connected to the hub as the USB spec allows for only 500mA (USB 2) of power from a USB port (on the host computer). The USB hub allows for connecting and powering multiple USB devices at the maximum (500mA) that would normally exceed the power output of the host device's USB port. Here's a good reference courtesy of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Comment

Also check in Device Manager, "device", Properties, Power Management to see if the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is enabled. A Microsoft Update may have enabled this option.

At the cost of AUD$3.50 you can buy a new mouse cheapo optical mouse and see if that konks out. If it does then you may have a problem.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              At the cost of AUD$3.50 you can buy a new mouse cheapo optical mouse and see if that konks out.
              Wow, that's like 0.55! Must be nice to move from England to Australia.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Probably not talking about a mouse, probably an Hamster Go to one of thos big shops and buy a good mouse, is that solves the problem you have a good new mouse, if it doesent solve the problem you always have 30 days to give back the mouse and get a refund of it

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kevinguerreiro View Post
                  Probably not talking about a mouse, probably an Hamster
                  What, one of these:
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Excelent, one of thos, hope the hamsters dont have the pig flue, or else the mouses will start sneezing everywere

Comment

Working...
                    X