no admin rights asks for domain password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no admin rights asks for domain password

helping friend with computer has no admin rights. no user accounts in safe mode can get login after ctrl-alt delete but still a guest account. unable to load any programs or change bios to load disc for re install. asks for what appears to be domain login and shows mshome workgroup. this is an hp desktop with xp pro she used to have rights but can no longer access programs or do much of anything but surf the internet. dont know if this might be due to virus or what. her account says administrator but still guest account.

Re: no admin rights asks for domain password

You should be able to change the boot order. Does the password request appear before the Windows splash screen appears - is it a BIOS password request? If so, check out the BIOS provider on the POST screen and then search for a generic password to use. Also, many BIOS passwords can be disabled/reset by configuring jumpers on the motherboard. These are usually clearly labelled. You will need to discover the manufacturer of the BIOS first and move on from there.
    Last edited by Blood; 4th July 2009, 08:02. Reason: Spelling
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Does the BIOS ask for a password, or do the changes just not work?

Murphy, have they ever successfully had actual admin rights? It sounds like this is a 2nd hand computer.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

She got the computer from some one who built it. she was able to use microsoft office and install programs before. then it started saying she is not admin on the account. in bios it simply does nothing when you try to change boot order. anything you try to do other than go online says you are not admin and asks for login. login appears to be a domain. when trying different logins it says user should be something like [email protected] I dont know if it was a virus or if she had done something to it. I've tried safe mode but get no admin rights to do anything there either. I have not done hardware work on comuter before to work on motherboard but will look into it.

Comment

On that computer go to this link: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Hit the button on the left that says Validate Windows. Sounds like it's not a genuine copy.

Did they set up the login for her? At the login screen, hit the additonal options button. It should show a 3rd line if it is / was on a domain, and it should tell you the domain options in the dropdown. Please post them here.
          Last edited by Wired; 5th July 2009, 23:01.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

os is xp pro, unable to validate windows because can't I even get admin rights to download validation tool. I've looked at other forums and tried various fixes but am unable to download or install anything even spyware updates. Someone had mentioned pulling a battery on the motherboard. I'm willing to do some hardware work once I find instructions. The system shows only an 18 gig drive but I think it may have a hidden partition, it shows more than one drive in BIOS for start up but only one in my computer. It does look as though I can boot off a floppy, maybe I can get something going that way

Comment

As for the login it says you must be a member of the administrative group and there is nothing on the drop down. If I put in her normal login it denies it but then user shows her normal user with 6ab3ca36/ in front of it and I can get no passwords to work. also at start up a box comes up saying it had to recover a registry from the disc
              Last edited by murphysrube; 5th July 2009, 17:03. Reason: rewording

Comment

Did they build the computer specifically for selling it to her, or is this a computer they built for themselves and then sold off?

Comment

Supposedly her daughter had it built for her. The problem cropped up about a month after having it. She says it's been over a year since she had login problems and lost access to programs etc. If I could wipe it and reinstall windows I would. There are no files to worry about saving. I don't know if there's a program I could load on a floppy and use that would work. She's fine with me jumping the motherboard if I could find instructions for doing that.

Comment

The motherboard option is only valid for BIOS passwords, not Windows passwords. What make/model is the machine? Have you had a look at the motherboard yet?

Comment

A YEAR? Format the sucker.

Comment

It does sound like it is infected with something. If your suspected hidden partition is correct then it may contain a Recovery Partition. Answer Bloods question and you may get some good news.

Is there a CoA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on the side of the case?
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I was unable to get back to the computer for a couple of days. There was no password to get into BIOS. It was created by award software. The computer is an HP Millennia, looks to have had windows 98 or nt previously according to sticker on front of the unit. It says micron pc at boot up and then hit delete to get to BIOS. F1 in bios will tell me my options for boot order but I don't seem to be able to change it. It says PU/PD/+/- to modify..........OK I see, I don't know how I missed it. I got it to change by shift lock and holding P and U down and then hit the + sign. now I was able to change the boot order. Whadda ya know, learn something new every day. Now I'll see about reinstalling the software. Thanks for the info I'll now have to look over the install instructions carefully

Comment

HP and Micron, AND built for them? That's odd...

Comment

Originally posted by murphysrube View Post
                              ... It says PU/PD/+/- to modify..........OK I see, I don't know how I missed it. I got it to change by shift lock and holding P and U down and then hit the + sign. now I was able to change the boot order... Are
                              Are you sure???

Comment

Working...
                              X