Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separating Local Profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Separating Local Profiles

    I share a laptop with four colleagues at work - we work 24*7 shifts.

    Each of us has a local profile on the laptop but we log onto a domain. As time goes on, each of us customises our user experience of the laptop but this has side effects of forcing changes on my profile or vice-versa.

    As an example two of us use KeePass - when I log on it goes to auto open my password file (which is protected by a master password) but it's initial choice is to default to trying to open the last database it used - in this case my colleagues. It's only after a couple of failed password attempts that I remember it's trying the wrong database.

    This is probably the clearest example but not the only one. Apart from the hassle factor and not wanting applications that others install to auto-start in my logon I realise it is all minor stuff but enough to cause frustration.

    So what's the best way to separate all our profiles out so that each only gets their profile, databases, etc ...

    We do have local admin access and I've "locked down" my My Docs already by configuring it only to allow my domain id and system to have access to it ... what else do I need to do please?

  • #2
    Re: Separating Local Profiles

    if you log on using an individual profile, it should load your settings.

    is it possible that keypass can';t understand individual profile settings maybe ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Separating Local Profiles

      Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      if you log on using an individual profile, it should load your settings.

      is it possible that keypass can';t understand individual profile settings maybe ?
      I agree with you - but don't get stuck on the keepass thing as that was just an example of one of many things that happen

      Any other ideas ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Separating Local Profiles

        Is it possible that when the other users are installing software they are installing them with the "install for all users" option enabled. That's one way to have someone else's start-up application stuck into your start-up. you should look to have them install with "only for me" option enabled. Then any start-up changes will only happen on their profile. That's just one of the problems you may be having. Anything else in particular that keeps happening?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Separating Local Profiles

          Originally posted by IceNine View Post
          Is it possible that when the other users are installing software they are installing them with the "install for all users" option enabled. That's one way to have someone else's start-up application stuck into your start-up. you should look to have them install with "only for me" option enabled. Then any start-up changes will only happen on their profile. That's just one of the problems you may be having. Anything else in particular that keeps happening?
          Hi and thanks for the response

          Unfortunately not all software is as nice as some and most don't provide an "install only for this user" option. Those that do certaimly we could use that ...

          As to stuff that happens ...

          1. As per my keepass incident as described.

          2. User settings such as how my file explorer displays files

          3. Application defaults for Word (as an example). e.g. I don't like the reading display option and constantly have to turn it off - after I've been off-shift and another colleague has used the laptop it gets "reset". This resetting doesn't hapen if the laptop is not used by anybody in between.

          Hope this helps?
          S.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Separating Local Profiles

            is there a way to force keypass to open a specific database from the shortcut using a comment in the target line?
            i.e. "c:\doesktop\keypass.exe -openthisdatabase"

            if you are able to do that, you can change your personal shortcut to the app and tell it to look for the batabase you need to open.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Separating Local Profiles

              Originally posted by IceNine View Post
              is there a way to force keypass to open a specific database from the shortcut using a comment in the target line?
              i.e. "c:\doesktop\keypass.exe -openthisdatabase"

              if you are able to do that, you can change your personal shortcut to the app and tell it to look for the batabase you need to open.
              Ah yes - I'm sure that would work. Didn't think of that so thank you.

              Comment

              Working...
              X