Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop tidy solution

Hi there,

Im looking for a simple piece of software/script that will automatically tidy anything placed on the desktop into a specific folder.

We have an AD environment, we dont have roaming profiles, and are trying to keep users documents off the desktop.

Any ideas? I can write a simple batch file which will move certain extensions when logging on, but need something ideally that will move files immediately and is able to move folders.

THanks!

Re: Desktop tidy solution

I am sure one of the scripting guys in here would be able to come up with something and assign it as a logoff script.
    My concern with this solution though is the fact that the users might get confused about the wherabouts of their saved documents.
    Wouldn't it be better though if you redirect the Desktop folder, give users only read permission to it and educate them to save to the appropriate location as well..
    That way they won't be able to save anything on their desktop.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Create mandatory profiles. Once they start losing documents they will start filing correctly.

Comment

We still want users to be able to place shortcuts that they require to the desktop. Each department uses a wide array of applications and web apps so we dont want to restrict what shortcuts they use. We just want to make sure documents are not stored there. We dont want to cause loss of documents because there storing them in the wrong place, we just want to automatically move them to their respective network space.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Create mandatory profiles. Once they start losing documents they will start filing correctly.
          Absolutely spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by house
            We dont want to cause loss of documents because there storing them in the wrong place, we just want to automatically move them to their respective network space.
            My apologies if I have interperated this incorrectly but it seems to me that you are saying you don't care where the users plonk their files but you want a script (or similar) to automatically move the files to the correct place.

Would it not be more effective to educate the users on how to save the files to the correct location to start with. With Mandatory Profiles you could create any necessary shortcuts and add then to the Mandatory Profile. The users could then drop their files on the appropriate shortcut or even save the file via a mapped drive.

An ounce (28gms) or education is worth a pound (0.453kg) of providing a fix for the solution. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give him a fishing rod and you feed him for quite a bit longer.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Slap him around a bit, call him Nancy, and your ugly friend has a date to the prom...
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X