No announcement yet.

Can't ping specify ip address (gateway)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't ping specify ip address (gateway)

I have assign below IP for two new pc.
    192.168.111.137 and 141 / 24, gateway: 192.168.111.253
    But they can ping all ip address 192.168.111.xxx except 192.168.111.253 (gateway)

When I move this IP address to other PC, it can ping 192.168.111.253 normally.

They must be assigned with this gateway as ip address coz it is allow it to internet access. Else they can only logon local domain only.

All firewall and antivirus are disabled, it is still failed. Very strange that if I assign this PC to use any other ip group 10.x.x.x or 192.168.200.xxx etc, it can access internet normally.

Now seems only can't use 192.168.111.253, what else should I do??

Re: Can't ping specify ip address (gateway)

Retype the address into the original PC. You may have put a , instead of a . as it is easy to do and hard to detect.

If that still doesn't work, on the machine with that can pint the DG, try to ping its own IP address. You may have a faulty NIC.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

is it ONLY the gateway they cannot ping, or can they not ping anything ?

I echo biggles - try pinging other addresses, try pinging it's own address.
      Check the switch for vlan misconfigurations, check the network cable, try different network cable and different network port...
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Both new PCs can ping any IP address (own address etc.) except that gateway 192.168.111.253. But if I use another gateway 192.168.111.1 instead, it can be ping successfully.

Also tried input ip addresses manually. Results are same.
        Tried putting same ip addresses on other old PCs. It works.
        Tried plug them into other Lan (10.1.1.x) group, it run normally and can access internet.
        So I'm sure that newtwork cable is normal. In addition, both PC have the same issue. So I think it may not relate to faulty NIC.

This PC can run both Mac OS X and Windows XP and both have the same problems under Mac or XP. Still can't ping the gateway 192.168.111.253.

Now I can't solve the problems. Any tricks to lock IP 192.168.111.253 gateway??

Comment

Originally posted by userhk View Post
          In addition, both PC have the same issue. So I think it may not relate to faulty NIC.
          Are they both the same PC and did you buy them at the same time??

Do they have the newest drivers installed?

Guys, what are the chances that .253 could be reserved for whatever reason on new NICs??

Doubt it, but just throwing it out there never-the-less..

DJ
          Daniel John
          A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
          ************************************************** **********************

Comment

A diagram of your network setup would be good.

Comment

I'm confused. How many Default Gateways do you have?
              and
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We have 2 gateway.

192.168.111.253 is firewall

192.168.111.1 is a router to connect other office.

Comment

Do you have an MAC ACL's on your firewall???

Still waiting on a diagrm of your network though.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    Do you have an MAC ACL's on your firewall???

Still waiting on a diagrm of your network though.
                    no mac ACL'S on firewall.

192.168.111.x / 24,
                    gateway: 192.168.111.253 (firewall connects ADSL modem)
                    gateway: 192.168.111.1 (router connects VPN to other office)
                    2 DC w/ DHCP, DNS on LAN. DHCP assign static IP with MAC for all wks.

Simple network. Any idea for those PC problems? Thx.

Comment

i have a thought. Can your OTHER computers, not these ones you are talking about,
                      Can THEY ping the gateway ?

is it possible that you require specific MAC permission on the gateway, or that it's setup to ignore icmp echo ?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                        i have a thought. Can your OTHER computers, not these ones you are talking about,
                        Can THEY ping the gateway ?

is it possible that you require specific MAC permission on the gateway, or that it's setup to ignore icmp echo ?
                        Yes. they can ping it normally OTHER than these ones.

The gateway is just a firewall. Have checked it all and don't have any special settings for this settings.

I've called these computers' provider technican to come on site and check them next week. These PCs are DIY products which can run both Mac OS X and Windows XP. We firstly purchase these PCs. So dunno if they have any other special settings on installing both OS X and XP by DIY.

Comment

Bad luck. Still can't solve the problem. Now find that ONLY new added computer / new network card using on this network cannot ping firewall 192.168.3.253. But these device can resolve the correct MAC address of firewall.

Also ask for help from firewall vendor (It is Fortigate 100A) and have checked the firewall itself. Suspect arp spoof or ip address conflict. But still can't figure out what problems.

Now only new Mac address joining the network cannot ping firewall. Anything can be checked? Please help. Many thanks.

Comment

This problem is fixed. It was caused by the network recorder device which is connected between internal lan and firewall. All problem is solved after remove it.

Comment

Working...
                            X