How to restrict users not to chatt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to restrict users not to chatt.

I want to know that is there any policyt hat if the user want to open chatt software ilikeyahoo messenger it will restrict it ? I want to restrict my windows xp windows vista machines which are stand alone computers.

mypass

Re: How to restrict users not to chatt.

Hi,

Reading at the thread Title I was so temted to say: "How about Gagging them"

On a more serious note have a look at this article about restricting IM communication: http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...-Networks.html

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

It's so difficult to stop users from using IM programs that it's best to first make sure that management and the executive leadership really wants to clamp down on this. If they do, then they can make additions to the employee policy that threatens disciplinary action if they don't comply. Even if you ban the instant messaging software, there's still sites like Meebo.com (which I use) that can still allow access to the IM networks.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

one option is to completely stop ALL egress traffic at the firewall (which should possibly be done for security purposes anyway...)

then you can force the users through a proxy service like ISA.. which can then be used to prevent access for specific protocols or sites...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X