Default XP Pro Screen Resolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default XP Pro Screen Resolution

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to how to change the default screen resolution for all users on an XP box?

The scenario is this:

I have a laptop which is used for company presentations along side a projector. The projector can only run a screen resolution of 1024x768. The laptop is on the company domain and requires different users log into the laptop to run presentations on a daily basis. When ever a new user logs into the laptop the screen res defaults to 1280x1024 and I have to change it each time to get the projector working. I need the default res to be 1024x768 so I donít need to spend time changing it constantly

I though the screen res was a global variable and all user accounts would use the same setting but it appears that each user account can use its own resolution. Is this a simple reg key somewhere or can I make the change through GPO?

Re: Default XP Pro Screen Resolution

Hi,

What's the laptops make and model and what grafics driver is it using.
    You are right when saying that once a resolution has been set it should apply to all users logging on the machine, however there might manifacturers custom software or drivers that can reset it.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

HP Compaq 6735s

Graphics = AIT Radeon HD 3200
      Version = 8.479.1.30000

Comment

You can use "MultiRes" (a 3rd party tool) for this.
        (you can extract files from the the downloaded setupfile with 7-Zip)

When using MultiRes just as a command line tool add also the switch /exit to the command line.

You can set the resolution [, colordepth and refreshrate], it supports multi monitors.
        Simply lauch the command line at user logon.

A help_file can be found in the download as well.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Cool, this works a treat

Thanks

Comment

Do you reset the resolution from the ATI driver gfx utility usually located on systray or do you do it via Display control panel?

Ok Just ignore it, I just realised it got sorted, although it still doesn't go to the bottom of what caused it but does it really matter?
            Last edited by L4ndy; 4th June 2009, 11:25.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I did try both ways with the same result.

I think it might be HP who have tweaked something on the OS as I’ve changed the reg key to make changes to the background colour and it hasn’t worked either. New users who log on still get the default colours.
              Last edited by Deland01; 4th June 2009, 11:30.

Comment

Working...
              X