Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed up XP login

Hi all

We are trialling XP (yes we are still on 2000! - But i guess we are not alone) and with an XP user profile (around 1mb). We are testing with our current 2000 server systems but are finding that even on a brand new machine the login times are around 20-30 seconds whereas on our 2000 machines it is 20 seconds maximum - usually quicker.

We have set the computer settings processing to finish before letting users log on so i know it's not that.

It says loading your settings which i presume is the profile copying from the network. That takes a second or two and then it says applying your personal settings for the rest of the time (18 - 28 seconds).

Any ideas?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Applications starting up when user logon!
    Logonscript!
    GPO's!
    The Domain Controller where it is? It is GC server?
    Profile will be copied if it is outdated or do not existe!
    Let say 20 sec. it's normal running in one system with 1 or 2 years!
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

check that you configured dns properly.
      Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
      HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Thanks for the reples guys.

shai tsanani: DNS is working fine, like i said in my first message a Windows 2000 machine works fine and the IP and DNS settings are set the same by the DHCP server.

I have found with my own XP workstation at work that i was getting delays when network shares were polled like my redirected network desktop and my documents etc.. I found a thing on google about turning off the webclient service... this seems to have speeded things up without anything breaking. I may give it a go on my test machine to see if that speeds up logins.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions flying in!
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

What about antivirus software.

which one do you use? does the version that was installed on windows 2000 maches the version on windows xp?

try disabling the real time scan.
          Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

i found something else

"Slow logon to domain in XP Pro
            This is caused by the asyncronous loading of networking during the boot up process. This speeds up the login process in a stand-alone workstation by allowing the user to log in with cached logon credentials before the network is fully ready.

To disable this "feature" and restore your domain logons to their normal speed, open the MMC and add the group policy snap-in. Under Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

This can be fed to clients via a group policy from a Windows 2000 server by upgrading the standard policy template with the XP policy template. Since this is an XP only command, non-XP systems will ignore it in a domain distributed group policy."
            Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Working...
            X