Password Protect a boot disc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Protect a boot disc?

We have a unattanded boot disc (DVD) which installs XP and unattended Office/Antivirus etc at work.

We are call out techs so are always out and about using the disc here and there.

We wondered if there was a way of password protecting the disc itself, a password prompt before it goes into the XP instal/setup screen. If we lose the disc, we dont want someone using it to install XP themselves, so a password at the very start of the process seems the best bet, i just cant find any info anywhere.

Cheers

Dean

Re: Password Protect a boot disc?

The medium AFAIK itself doesnt allow that. You may be able to use a script possibly that would run from autorun.inf but i cant see how you can protect the medium itself from being browsed via windows explorer and launched from there. Just a thought.

You would be better in my opinion using some sort of flash media as that can do what you want.

Comment

This one supports password protection of bootable CD/DVD : http://www.ezbsystems.com/easyboot/index.html
      Not quite sure what level of protection it offers but it could be a small price to pay for protecting it from a curious opportunistic!
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by smitheagle View Post
        We have a unattanded boot disc (DVD) which installs XP and unattended Office/Antivirus etc at work.

We are call out techs so are always out and about using the disc here and there.

We wondered if there was a way of password protecting the disc itself, a password prompt before it goes into the XP instal/setup screen. If we lose the disc, we dont want someone using it to install XP themselves, so a password at the very start of the process seems the best bet, i just cant find any info anywhere.

Cheers

Dean
        Not sure regarding your question but I have tended to change the BIOS boot order to prevent booting from DVDs, Floppy disks and the LAN unless the BIOS password is known.

Comment

Remove the key from the DVD so even if it falls into the enemy's hands it is no good to them.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Remove the key from the DVD so even if it falls into the enemy's hands it is no good to them.
            But then it wouldn't be unattended
            besides the enemy could use them as weapons and throw them around like frisbeesss
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X