How do I create a bootable USB device

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I create a bootable USB device

I am trying to create a USB bootable device to install ghost XP image to a computer,
    How can I do this…

Re: How do I create a bootable USB device

About 360,000 hits for your thread title on (amazing place, that, maybe I should tell other people about it )
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...b+device&meta=
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The best utility in my experience for this is made by HP, but given that their website is horrific you'll probably have more luck finding it via google.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        The best utility in my experience for this is made by HP, but given that their website is horrific you'll probably have more luck finding it via google.
        You too? I remember i downloaded their bootable USB software for a Linux compile i was making. What a pain in the a55!

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          About 360,000 hits for your thread title on
          And not one of those articles in the links for this topic has ever worked for me. Which reminds me, I want to get to the bottom of this and make a blog post about it...

The best utility in my experience for this is made by HP
          I believe you're referring to this tool (and yes, I found it using Google). I've tried it and was still unable to make a bootable USB drive.

but given that their website is horrific you'll probably have more luck finding it via google.
          Quoted for truth. I'm seriously considering going with Dell servers just on the basis that HP's website is so atrocious that it makes my job that much harder when I want to get web support. It's ironic too that every other page you browse to has a pop-up that wants some kind of feedback on "How are we doing?". Apparently they don't listen to me.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            And not one of those articles in the links for this topic has ever worked for me. Which reminds me, I want to get to the bottom of this and make a blog post about it...

I believe you're referring to this tool (and yes, I found it using Google). I've tried it and was still unable to make a bootable USB drive.

Quoted for truth. I'm seriously considering going with Dell servers just on the basis that HP's website is so atrocious that it makes my job that much harder when I want to get web support. It's ironic too that every other page you browse to has a pop-up that wants some kind of feedback on "How are we doing?". Apparently they don't listen to me.
            Proving the HP Point I actually meant the one downloadable from this link. It's always worked for me, even works with the Windows 7 RC.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for your help
              I got usb driver to boot using,
              http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R904 25&formatcnt=1&fileid=117917

Now I have to include ghost in to it with CD ROM drivers so that I can deploy my ghost image to computer,
              Any ideas

Comment

You could use BartPe, which you can use to make a bootable USB drive with tools for imaging, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by krishanthad View Post
                  Thanks for your help
                  I got usb driver to boot using,
                  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R904 25&formatcnt=1&fileid=117917

Now I have to include ghost in to it with CD ROM drivers so that I can deploy my ghost image to computer,
                  Any ideas
                  Why not setup RIS or WDS if you have SP2 installed, then use the Ghost Boot Wizard with the Microsoft RIS Boot Option to create a Console you can deploy using a PXE boot from the workstation. Once Ghost Console can see the Client, the Image can be pushed out via the Ghost Console via a Task and a Configuration can be created to rename the machines once imaged and join them to the Domain. DON'T forget to tick the option to create a new SID.

Going to each machine, and booting from any device except PXE is time consuming and now old hat.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks, we don’t have windows servers in all our offices,

Comment

Working...
                    X