Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte laptop slow...

Hi all,

I got a new Gigabyte laptop and the thing is USELESS. It came with Vista so I promptly formatted and put XP Home on. The thing is, it has zero performance. It's running Intel Pentium T2390 1.86Ghz Dual Core, 2 gigs DDR2 667 Mhz RAM, and the only technical deficiency is the Intel GM965 series X3100 shared Graphics chipset (256mb). But is that bad enough to excuse severe lag in GTA:SA? It runs hundreds for a while, then suddenly this massive lag kicks in and theres nothing you can do... Also LOTR BFME lags from the start no matter what graphics settings you use. I've checked for viruses and spyware using multiple programs...

Re: Gigabyte laptop slow...

Are your drivers fully updated (check Device Manager)?
    Have you looked at processes to see if anything is taking a lot of resources?
    Have you used Performance Monitor to investigate Disk, Memory, CPU and Network over a period of time?
    Have you checked support for the games you are having problems with?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thats the thing mate, ram and CPU are perfectly fine, there's no chowing processes, and performance monitor says much the same thing. There are devices for which no drivers are installed, namely a modem device on HD audio channel and the wireless ethernet controller. But would these make a difference to performance? Something is terribly wrong here... I was even playing a flash game the other day and it started lagging so bad i had to stop. There is no way that should be possible, even if I'm running a virus scan! (Which I wasn't) Any more ideas?

Comment

There is one thing, the CPU usage seems to spike here and there, for instance as I run task manager it jumps to 30% for a second or two. Is this normal?

Comment

CPU spike is normal -- often 100% for Task Manager !
          Can you check if power options are slowing your CPU down -- look in Computer Properties to see the speed and see if Gigabyte give any management tools to help
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Speed of CPU registers as full. I know of what you speak from the last laptop I had. With Vista on it had an OEM power management tool that sat in the taskbar, from which one simply chose performance or power saving, but with XP on I do it in the control panel, power settings, the usual way. Could that affect it? And those missing drivers I mentioned, could they affect it?

Comment

Okay I'm in that same flash game now and its lagging badly. RAM isn't a problem according to task manager but the CPU is at 100% in game. This game is tiny it should barely be using anything...

Comment

Look in Task Manager and see what is hogging the CPU.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's odd, when I'm alt-tabbed out of game and in task manager the CPU usage hops around from 20 to 28% yet CPU idle process is at 92/93? The processes shown aren't using enough to justify the CPU usage readout, but it's showing processes from all users?

Comment

Is the machine fully patched?
                    ProcessXP from sysinternals may give you a slightly better view of what is happening with the cpu.
                    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Check the Performance tab to make sure BOTH cores are being used?
                      (And check device manager to make sure you have the multi-processor HAL)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...4567_10_0.html
                      Last edited by Ossian; 23rd May 2009, 12:09.
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X