Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP - Mapped Server Drive Causing Save Issues

Hi All,

I have a strange problem with one of our users. He is using a Windows XP laptop, and he is not connected to our domain. He has a mapped drive to a folder on our server. This setup works great for him when he is in the office, physically wired into our network. However, he runs into one particular issue when he is off the network, and not using vpn.

When he is home or on the road, he connects to the internet through wireless (both regular and ATT broadband card). For some reason, if he is not connected to the vpn system, that mapped drive is causing issues when he tries to work on locally saved files. For example, if he is working wirelessly and tries to do 'save as' on an Office document, it takes forever for the 'Save In' drop-down box to actually drop down so he can navigate to the location he wants to save. This happens with anything that seems to have that navigation drop-down, like if he tries to insert an image into a powerpoint slide, it just locks right up.

Now, if I get rid of the mapped shared drive, and test it out, it works fine. Any ideas what I might be able to do to fix this, or why this is happening?

Thanks

Re: XP - Mapped Server Drive Causing Save Issues

I would recommend setting up a GPO to map the network drive when he at the company and have another that removes it once logged of.

I have had similar problems in the past and removing the mapped drive was the only way I was able to resolve it.

You could perhaps have scripts the user could run as well when experiencing the problem, which efectively removes the network mappings for them.

Comment

Re: XP - Mapped Server Drive Causing Save Issues

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      I would recommend setting up a GPO to map the network drive when he at the company and have another that removes it once logged of.

I have had similar problems in the past and removing the mapped drive was the only way I was able to resolve it.

You could perhaps have scripts the user could run as well when experiencing the problem, which efectively removes the network mappings for them.
      Thanks for the quick response, and I appreciate the suggestion. I'll look into the GPO option. I know this users not going to be thrilled with the extra steps, but if its the only way around it he might not have a choice. Any ideas as to why this would happen on his machine, but not on another?

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X