Why does sysprep modify my profile settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does sysprep modify my profile settings

I setup a standard and local admin profile, then run sysprep and when the PC reboots, I've got extra stuff on the desktop and in the start menu. For example, it always puts an IE icon on every desktop.

How can I stop this?

Thanks.

Re: Why does sysprep modify my profile settings

What switches are you running with sysprep? The whole point of sysprep is that it removes all unique data from the OS in preparation for it being used as a standard image. Also are you using an answer file with sysprep for the default options?

Check this link for a breakdown of sysprep options and switches.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I disagree about the point of sysprep. It is a tool we're supposed to be using when creating a master computer for imaging. If I can't maintain my config, I can't use it and that means that all the imaged PCs will have the same GUID and that's no good.

Anyway, we're using the switches -reseal and -mini. We have an answer file that's setup for an unattended boot. I don't see anywhere I can tell it, "Don't put a WMP icon on the desktop."

Comment

Did you copy your preferred profile to "default"?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A couple of things:

1. What do you mean the imaged pc's will have the same GUID (or do you mean SID)?

2. The SID has nothing to do with your problem. You're using the -reseal parameter so a new SID will be generated when the image is deployed. This has nothing to do with what icons show up on the desktop.

3. Did you create a custom user profile and copy it to the default user profile as Ossian mentioned?

4. The problem might be related to ActiveSetup. You could look at removing the components you don't want by deleting their corresponding ActiveSetup registry keys.

Comment

1. SID, yes.

2. I know, forget I mentioned it.

3. Yes

4. I don't know anything about ActiveSetup. Can you elaborate? I see there are several values under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\ but don't understand how they'd be mucking up the default profile

Thanks.

Comment

After doing some more research I think this article might help. You could follow this article while you're logged on to the "master" machine that you're creating the image from while you're logged on as the user that you're creating your default profile from.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/.../tweaks/10280/

Comment

Thanks but that's not the end of it. Here are more examples of how sysprep seems to be changing my default user profile:

1. WMP icon on the desktop
                2. Pinned Start menu apps are no longer pinned
                3. I clear the contents of the Start menu, but the default icons are there (e.g. transfer file)

I wonder if it is a problem with SP2 and sysprep. I'm going to do a clean install of Windows, then put SP3 on and try again.

Comment

Just a thought: anything in "All Users" that might apply?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by mhashemi View Post
                    I disagree about the point of sysprep. It is a tool we're supposed to be using when creating a master computer for imaging. If I can't maintain my config, I can't use it and that means that all the imaged PCs will have the same GUID and that's no good.
                    You misunderstand me, by unique I mean all information such as recently used programs, SIDs, domain membership etc is removed by sysprep. I do not mean that it removes all of your programs etc, otherwise it would be useless. That was why I asked what switches you were using and if you were using an answer file.

XP without classic start menu always puts in the default programs such as the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard so I would expect that part of it, the WMP thing is odd though.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X