X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free disk space miss reported

Hi all,

This one's puzzling me a bit.

In Windows XP Pro, looking at the system drive's (C) properties it shows a major difference in space usage compared with selecting all the files (hidden + system) and viewing their properties.

I've (hopefully) attached a jpeg of the two windows. I would of expected a small difference maybe upto 8-10GB of something i've missed but not ~30GB.

I'm a bit puzzled by this and thought it might be an error with the disk. Thus I used "chkdsk c:", it results showed no errors and no bad sectors.

I'll keep looking at it but am a bit pressed for time at the moment, any one else come across something similar or knows the reason?

"cmd> dir" shows 70,944,026,624 bytes free

Regards,
    R Austin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RAustin; 23rd April 2009, 22:56.

Re: Is Free disk space being miss reported

While I don't have a direct answer to your question, it might be interesting to use a space management utility like WinDirStat or SpaceMonger and see what it says. You can then visually dig into which files and folder are taking up the phantom space (assuming that those tools will see it... I'm not sure which API's they use to calculate the space). Alternatively, you could use some kind of boot disk that has a disk space manager on it. I'm sure there's something like that on one of the myriad Linux live CDs. that would seem to get down to the bottom of what is or is not taking up space on that disk since it's not reliant on any of Windows' own APIs that may be hiding something. *insert paranoid glance here*
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: Is Free disk space being miss reported

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      While I don't have a direct answer to your question, it might be interesting to use a space management utility like WinDirStat or SpaceMonger and see what it says. You can then visually dig into which files and folder are taking up the phantom space (assuming that those tools will see it... I'm not sure which API's they use to calculate the space). Alternatively, you could use some kind of boot disk that has a disk space manager on it. I'm sure there's something like that on one of the myriad Linux live CDs. that would seem to get down to the bottom of what is or is not taking up space on that disk since it's not reliant on any of Windows' own APIs that may be hiding something. *insert paranoid glance here*
      Hmm some good ideas there, I'll have to go for the management utilities over the live cd boot options as I don't have physical access to the system at this time.

Comment

Re: Free disk space miss reported

System Restore ?
        Recycle Bin ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          System Restore ?
          Recycle Bin ?
          That reminded me, the "recycler" hidden folders have a habit of retaining what you've chucked in there. I had one instance where a user had a few GBs of phantom space that wasn't being freed up. Turned out to be the recycler folder not emptying even though the recycle bin was emptied. Had to use a command prompt to delete everything. May be part of the issue... or not.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            System Restore ?
            Recycle Bin ?
            Those should of been included in the disk space calculations as I should have been viewing hidden and system files.

I'll double check when I next work on the system.

Comment

Run treesize and see what it is showing you.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Ok found it. I used Treeview. Seems like a nice program.

So a bit more details now.

The system was a Lenovo Desktop.

The folder causing problems: RRBackups - Part of Lenovo's Rescue and recover, not security tab on properties, and denies access.

The Application: Lenovo Rescue and Recovery - Your basic backingup & archiving application.

Any ways, thanks for assisting me in finding the root (not row-t) of the problem.

Regards,

R Austin
                Last edited by RAustin; 24th April 2009, 20:13.

Comment

Working...
                X