does anyone know what isass.exe is and how it affect winxp home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know what isass.exe is and how it affect winxp home

I was attempting a repair install of winxp home and lsass.exe pops up during the installation screen and I am able to enter the taskmgr.exe by use of shit+f10(thanks to "amiros") and once I end the app it does a reboot of the system and the popup comes back. Can this file be repaired or deleted by use of the cmd prompt and if so how will it affect winxp install. Any advice will be helpful thanks community.
    Last edited by kidraven_04; 22nd April 2009, 22:18. Reason: changing isass.exe to lsass.exe Local Security Authentication Server

Re: does anyone know what isass.exe is and how it affect winxp home

Originally posted by kidraven_04 View Post
    I was attempting a repair install of winxp home and isass.exe pops up during the installation screen and I am able to enter the taskmgr.exe by use of shit+f10(thanks to "amiros") and once I end the app it does a reboot of the system and the popup comes back. Can this file be repaired or deleted by use of the cmd prompt and if so how will it affect winxp install. Any advice will be helpful thanks community.
    isass.exe, or lsass.exe, are quite possibly variants of the Sasser worm. You can look for a removal tool on google, or just download one from http://www.symantec.com/security_res...050114-1706-99.

If it pops up a window stating that the machine is shutting down in 30 seconds or something similar to that, quickly open a command prompt and type "shutdown -a" without the quotes and hit the Enter key. That will abort the shutdown and give you time to run the removal tool or run an AV scan.

Odd that it would happen during the install screen though...unless the install media had the virus or it is actually the Local Security Authentication Server and there is a problem with the actual install process of XP. Try the removal tool or an AV scan first, if that does not fix it we will troubleshoot from there.

More info on Sasser here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-011.mspx
    Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

eramnes i tried your advice and sorry your effort to help was short lived it looked like was going to work because the error pop up didnt show right away, but sure enough it came back and to be clear on my uncertianty it was Lsass.exe and not isass.exe. Is their anyway to access the recovery console through the command prompt or even if possible access the recovery app for windows.

Comment

That must be one old install of XP if your still being affected by the Sasser worm.

IMO the best thing to do is take your original disks and slipstream SP3 into them then rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by kidraven_04 View Post
          eramnes i tried your advice and sorry your effort to help was short lived it looked like was going to work because the error pop up didnt show right away, but sure enough it came back and to be clear on my uncertianty it was Lsass.exe and not isass.exe. Is their anyway to access the recovery console through the command prompt or even if possible access the recovery app for windows.
          You can access the Recovery Console by booting the Windows XP installation disk and hitting "R" when it asks if you want to repair the installation after loading the drivers it needs. I'm not sure this will help though if the error comes up after the install has started...I would take wullieb1's advice and try slipstreaming SP3 in and seeing if that takes care of the issue. Your other option is to try unplugging the network cable from the machine during the install to ensure that nothing foreign is being loaded during the installation, which would help rule out a virus of some sort.
          Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

i cant access the recovery console it prompts for admin password even though i did not set one in the first install. win sp3 is already installed on the hdd that i am trying to repair but i will try to slipstream it later on today thanks all for advice. i hope this works. kid

Comment

If you have not set a password for administrator, then it is blank, so just press enter key when prompted for password.

NB: Lsass.exe is the Net Logon process used in Domains to authenticate to a Windows domain and is an essential service. XP with latest Service pack will fix it. You can get rid of it with the McAfee Stinger tool:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Comment

the problem with that is once in the recovery console it ask to select drive press #. once i do that the prompt for admin password shows so instinctively i press enter but says password invalid and an incorrect password enter three times will force a reboot.

Comment

Remove HDD, connect to another PC and save all your data, email, Favorites etc etc (N2K if using Outlook).
                  Replace HDD and then do a clean install. Would suggest you slipstream SP3 onto the CD before the clean install. nLite is the easiest way to slipstream an SP that I have found so far.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks will give nlite a try let you know how it goes later kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X