Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a standard XP image

Hi
    I would like to create a standard XP image for my company, that I can install in to all Dell models (GX520, GX260, GX270, 755 etc ), this image should include office, adobe etc..,

can anyone provide me the instruction to how to create a SOE CD for XP using sysprep for different models of dell desktop computers,
    help meÖ

Thanks,
    Kris

Re: Creating a standard XP image

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to make an image which can be used on dissimilar hardware, you may want to take a look at Acronis Snap Deploy with Universal restore. If you are not using VLM, then don't forget the licensing and activation process!

Simon

Comment

We purchase this computers separately, I have separate keys for XP, I can setup sysprep to prompt for XP key, we have volume license for office 2003

Comment

krishanthad,

considering the different levels of hardware, I'd be considering making an image for each class of hardware, ie 520, 260, 270.

If it's only minor hardware differences, not HAL differences, you may just be able to make one image and insert all the relevant drivers.. however I don't know enough about those particular models of hardware, and I won't be researching them to tell you.

From there, I would pick one of the workstations, do a basic installation of Windows XP, then install Microsoft Office and any other software I required.
        If additional drivers wree required, I would insert them in the correct locations. (C;\windows\system32\drivers maybe ?)

Then I would use the Microsoft "SYSPrep" tool and setup a sysprep installation.
        Once the sysprep had completed and shutdown the workstation, I would make a Ghost image of that workstation and burn it to a DVD, or store it on my Ghost server. Acronis TrueImage as mentioned above is also a program like ghost that would probably do the job.

then next time I got a new workstation, I'd boot off the Ghost image, let the sysprep min-install run, give it a local admin password, a comptuer name, and a registration key.
        Of course, all this information can be configured during the sysprep process.
        You can find more information on running sysprep here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

You can also use this process to automatically roll in things like XP SP3 and various other patches.

Hopefully this has given you enough information to start with.. if not, come back with some defined questions and I'll see what I can do for you.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the advice; I canít find a test workstation will get back to you soon as I have try this..

Comment

There will be different HALs - the 260 and 270 are pretty ancient whereas the 755 is reasonably new and will likely have dual core CPUs. I would go with an image per system type unless you are using software that can do bare metal restores to different hardware, such as Backup Exec System Recovery.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

AFAIK, the HAL shouldn't be an issue for the sysprep images as you can deploy the images to other computers in the same HAL "class" and the Dell models you've listed should be in the same "class". This article has a nice explanation of the HAL in relation to sysprep.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

Comment

Hmmm why not WDS or RIS to deploy the OS and deploy the Software via GPO or SCCM?
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I'd like to toss my opinion in about software deployment and images. I'm currently of the opinion that images should only exist to deploy different operating systems and different hardware drivers within those operating systems. I don't think most non-driver related software (if any) should be included in an image. It's better to use other software distribution methods to install software if at all possible (like Active Directory, SMS, SCCM or any of the other enterprise computer lifecycle management offerings out there). Of course, that's an ideal that can only be practiced if you have the cash and training to use a big product like SCCM, etc..

For instance, I think it is best to have a library of XP images, Vista images, Server 2003 images, Server 2008 images, etc. and within those libraries only have variations based on hardware that it will be installed on. I don't like having "accounting images" and "designer images" and "executive images" and "Bobs February 2007 image w/Civilization IV". I like "XP.DellPrecision.330.Feb2009" and then using Active Directory or whatever other tool is available to put the computer in the proper OU or group to have software deployed to it automatically. Or the user's group can determine what software they have available. It all depends on which tool you use for software deployment and management. It's even cooler if you can build one image and use some fancy tool to stream in proper drivers as needed to whichever hardware platform you're deploying the image too.

</IMHO>
                  Last edited by Nonapeptide; 2nd May 2009, 22:50.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Straying slightly off topic, I agree with some of what you are saying NP, but doing it that way isn't always practical. For example, the last customer I set WDS up for has over a dozen sites and only a small internal IT staff. We set up a series of custom WDS images to a: minimise build time and administrative overhead and b: ensure that all machines are standard and there are no additional permissions for standard users. GPOs wouldn't really work as we'd need to have setup policies for each office and have an installation point on each server.

Back on topic if what joeqwerty says is correct (haven't had a chance to read the link in detail ) then WDS should do the job for you. I've only used it with Vista myself, and tried it out on Windows 7 RC as I'd run out of blank DVDs when I came to install it on my laptop this morning.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                      Straying slightly off topic, I agree with some of what you are saying NP, but doing it that way isn't always practical.
                      Uh oh... I didn't think I was going off topic. The OP was wondering how to build standard images and I advised that he should avoid standardizing with software in the image and only standardize with drivers and OSs. Maybe I zigged when I should have zagged... ?

Yes, practicality is certainly determined by the size of the organization and IT department (and the IT department's budget... SCCM / Tivoli / Whatever HP is calling OpenView these days is very expensive). I don't think it's practical in most cases if you're dealing with less than 80 or 100 users.

I haven't had a chance (or a need) to get into WDS deeply, but from what I've heard it is a very nice product for most situations. Simplicity is elegance.

EDIT: @cruachan: Saw your follow-up post (#12). Gotcha. I blame my vertigo problems.
                      Last edited by Nonapeptide; 2nd May 2009, 23:24.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      -------------------------------
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Lol, I meant I felt was straying off topic.

I suppose the practicalities (cost, ease of use etc) are as important as the technical options though.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The problem I've with tools like Ghost is that when you create one mistake into an image you have to recover it later somehow.
                          I've created so many (start-up and login) scripts to repair errors in (ghost) images for office, adobe reader, printers etc etc that I'm would more look into the other side.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I am with cruachan we have only few IT staff, and we have 16 offices to look after, 10 to 30 computers each office, if I can create a standard image, it is easy to rebuild computers through phone or create few standard imagers in a USB drive, boot up with USB and rebuild pc

Comment

Originally posted by krishanthad View Post
                              Hi
                              I would like to create a standard XP image for my company, that I can install in to all Dell models (GX520, GX260, GX270, 755 etc ), this image should include office, adobe etc..,

can anyone provide me the instruction to how to create a SOE CD for XP using sysprep for different models of dell desktop computers,
                              help me…

Thanks,
                              Kris

Krishanthad,

I have done this with a Ghost image but I stream it from a Ghostcast server. The first thing I did was setup a base install on a computer. I created a directory structure at the root of the C drive and added the drivers based on the model of computer. Next I edited the DevicePath key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion. You will need to add an entry for each driver and separate them with a semi colon. For example, I would enter in %systemdrive%\d\260\Network; into that key for the network driver location for an Optiplex GX260.

After editing that key and adding the drivers, I run sysprep with the run mini-setup option and then reseal. When I deploy this image, it works for the vast majority of the drivers. I do have a few issues with things like different generations of Soundmax soundcards picking the wrong driver, but overall it is great. I do recommend that you thoroughly test the image to prevent issues like Dumber mentioned. The amount of time that has saved me is immense. I setup the sysprep answer file to stop at computer name and it will automatically join the domain for me. Just remember to keep people out of the sysprep answer file for security reasons.

Right now my XP image will work on Gateway E4000, HP dc7600, Dell GX 260, 270, 280, 745, and 755 Optiplexes.

Comment

Working...
                              X