Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fdisk

hello friends,

trying to partition my hard disk through command line. opened command prompt and typed fdisk and then enter. it says "fdisk is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. my version of xp is 5.1.2600

any way to get around please?

Re: fdisk

Are you trying to fdisk you primary partition, while it is running? Or are you trying to partition a seconday drive?

Either way I do not think that you can do this while the OS is up and running. You have to boot to a DOS (or linux) boot disk. You might want to give the Ultimate Boot CD a look. That will do pretty much anything you need. Here is a link to the site that it is maintained at (or one of them at least):

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

trying to fdisk my primary partition while the operating system is up using the command line. i didn't know that we can't do it that way. thanks for the info

Comment

I don't think fdisk still exists in the NT based family of operating systems (I.e. 2000 and later). You'll need to use the Disk Management snap-in (Part of Computer management) or boot to an OS CD to do disk partitioning natively in 2000 or later.

If you still have access to a Windows 98 machine you can create a bootable floppy disk with fdisk and other tools on it. I created a bootable USB drive which is effectively a Windows 98 startup disk for use on newer PCs - it's handy for doing BIOS flashes and the like on systems with no floppy drive. If you don't have a Windows 98 PC try , I'm pretty sure there are other ways to do it.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jdsony View Post
          trying to fdisk my primary partition while the operating system is up using the command line. i didn't know that we can't do it that way. thanks for the info
          You can't fdisk the os drive while your in the OS lol.

As has been mention download a Windows 98 bootdisk from here http://www.bootdisk.com and use that.

Is there a reason your doing this using FDISK???

Are you trying to delete the existing OS from the machine to reload a new OS?? If yes then use the CD/DVD as it has partitioning software on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsony View Post
            hello friends,

trying to partition my hard disk through command line. opened command prompt and typed fdisk and then enter. it says "fdisk is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. my version of xp is 5.1.2600

any way to get around please?
            way mess around with cmd promt.... just right click on "computer" in the start menu, and select "mange". There you have diskmanger, much easier.. if you want to use standard dos cmds I recommend a *boot-disk* of some sort, do one your self or grab one of the net, there are a bunch of them out there free and leagle...

Comment

Well feed me garlick and call me stinky. Did a search for FDISK on XP installed and the i386 folder and found nothing. Could have knocked me over with a feather since EDLIN.COM and other very early DOS utilities are still included with an XP install.

Don't forget if you really want to use FDISK on a large HDD you will need the version of FDISK that will handle them. The Windows 98 version will have problems with large drives and I forget the size limit when the problem occurs and a 4.51am I really can't be stuffed doing a to find out. Sorry.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X