IE - Java Machine Disabled ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE - Java Machine Disabled ?

I'm having a strange java machine problem, that this far is eluding me.

I have IE7 installed on our workstations, and I use a roaming profile.
    I'm trying to use Trend Micro Scan Mail for exchange webconsole which is newly installed, and it gives me an IE error stating "java machine is not installed" and a little manage addons icon down in the status bar.

I'm 100% certain that JVM is installed and working on my machine. I'm certain of this because I have tried it with different non-roaming accounts and the same site works fine.
    I have also tried using my account on different workstations, and the site fails in the same manner.

I've reset Internet Explorer to all it's defaults, and cleared hte cache and cookies, and even reimaged my machine

So at this point, I'm fairly sure it's related to an individual profile setting, however I'm not sure what or where, and I've spent months crafting this profile and would really prefer not to have to delete it and start again..

Does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: IE - Java Machine Disabled ?

no thoughts? Even starting points ?

Please don't make me destroy my profile..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm sorry but you are going to have to destroy your profile.

You may find that you have a permission issue on the profile that is not allowing JAVA to run. Check permissions on the Java folders. They may require Execute or even a Write permission.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

mutters and mumbles..

guess what i'm doin tuesday then.

Interestingly enough - the same trend micro console works if i use firefox.. so it's specific to userprofile and internet explorer...

Comment

Check the security settings in IE very carefully, enable Java and consider adding the Trend console to Trusted Sites

What is the workstation OS?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            mutters and mumbles..

guess what i'm doin tuesday then.

Interestingly enough - the same trend micro console works if i use firefox.. so it's specific to userprofile and internet explorer...
            I was actually kidding about trashing the profile, ero the smiling face.
            That is why I followed up with the permissions but missed the IE settings and THAT is why we have Ossian here. He finds my mistakes and corrects them (so he can get very, very busy)
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've definitely compared my IE settings to my colleague's workstation.. but i will try again..

Comment

Ok.. It's taken me more than an hour today but so far I've established it's something to do with the following hive:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

I established this by exporting keys, deleting them, testing, and reimporting.
                surely a beter way to spend my afternoon. .but i'm going to figure it out, DAMNIT.

Comment

SOLVED !!!!!

The following key was ruining it for me:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Settings\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}]
                  "Flags"=dword:00000001
                  "Version"="*"

god knows what it's for or what it does.. however I went through the registry looking for any other iterations of that ID and found this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}]
                  @="Web Browser Applet Control"
                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\InprocServer32]
                  @="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\msjava.dll"
                  "ThreadingModel"="Both"
                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\ProgID]
                  @="MSJava"
                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\TreatAs]
                  @="{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBB}"
                  However, that TreatAs entry points to another CLSID which is just the Java Plugin one.
                  So I'm not sure what i did, what option I had ticked or not ticked.
                  But it's solved.

Ossian was probably the closest - I'd say it was an IE setting, but damned if I could find what it was, and why reset to defaults didn't reset it.

Comment

Well done!
                    rep++
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X