Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Digital external HDD not showing up on My Computer after reinstall of xp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Digital external HDD not showing up on My Computer after reinstall of xp

Hi

I recently bought a Western Digital 160GB hard drive (the model number is something like WD1600JB). This morning I backed up some files as I was going to re-install Windows XP on my laptop. Now, when I plug it in I get a "Safely Remove Hardware" message, but the drive does not appear in My Computer and I cannot access it. The device appears in Device Manager. I've tried uninstalling the driver and then re-connecting it; Windows appears to detect it (launches the 'Found New Hardware' popup) but it still does not appear. I tried this on another computer and the same problem happened.

I have also gone into computer management and tried to assign a drive letter to the disk but the disk doesnt appear in there.

I cant recall whether I removed the external disk before I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows. I am sure i didnt install anything for the OS onto the external disk only on the disk in the computer.

Has anyone experienced this problem and can you help?

Thanks

Re: Western Digital external HDD not showing up on My Computer after reinstall of xp

Hi,

When i entered that model number in to google, the first link i got was this; an ATA drive. Do you have a ATA to USB convertor? If this is the case, have you tried connecting the drive using an IDE cable?

Comment

Working...
    X