2PCs, XP VLK but different product IDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2PCs, XP VLK but different product IDs

i'm fixing a few semi dead hp boxes with xp pro. for one, one problem is sofware related (not the operating system). the easiest solution is to clone a disk image off an identical machine with the same xp pro vlk licence key. I note that both (all) machines have the same VLK key BUT each has a different XP pro product ID.
    this is new to me - i thought the 2 went together. should i be changing the XP product ID on the cloned disk to match its original product ID on that PC? But i thought the product IDs were derived from the VLK key and set only by the key? should I and how would i change ID independently from key?

thanks for any advice/guidance/clarity.

Re: 2PCs, XP VLK but different product IDs

The PCs were purchased with an OEM version of XP from HP. The company has a Volume Licencing Agreement with Microsoft so they can deploy multiple machines using the same VLK number using deployment software like Ghost or Acronis. This saves time by not having to re-enter the OEM number on each PC. That can get very tedious when pushing out images from 10 to several hundred or even several thousand PCs.

If you company has a Volume Licencing Agreement with Microsoft then it may be legal for you to use the VLK. This may depend on the number of VLK licences you have. The VLK can only be used on machines that are used within the company and if the computers are disposed of (sold to staff or given away) then the VLK must be removed and the operating system reinstalled with the appropriate operating system for the OEM key on the COA sticker.

As for the rest of your post, I do not understand what you are trying to ask.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks for your reply. my easiset solution may be to reinstall the SLP version of xp for that machine. the goal is to keep it legal and WGA comlpiant.

this may now be a general knowledge question, but what i still don't understand is how different PCs can have different xp product IDs (like under the 'registered to' section of my computer /properties) when they are using the same volume licence key. unless they are changed in the registry to keep an inventory record. can anyone elighten me?

thanks.

Comment

XP was produced longer than MS intended and they ran out of keys so they had to change the Ids and create keys for them. That is a rough explanation. If somone has a smoother one please post it. AHinson (I think) posted a good explanation some time ago about the Product Id and COA Key issue. You can use the Search tool and see if you can find it. Of course there is always as well.

I have an old OEM XP CD that I can NOT install on a new PC with a new OEM COA Key. The legal number on the COA sticker is rejected as an illegal key. Damn frustrating. The owner will have to contact MS or HP to get the appropriate new media.

Now it is time for me to go and have a nice Milo with mulk and a buscut.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X