Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folder redirection/Offline Files Issues - Please Help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder redirection/Offline Files Issues - Please Help.

We have recently replaced our entire server infrastructure with shiny new servers including Domain Controller, Exchange Server, File Server, ISA and WSUS server.

I have always had folder redirection enabled on the "My Documents" folders as part of the domain group policy for all domain users and it generally worked rather well. We redirect all the My Docs to our file server (EG: \\fileserver\Users\%username%). As far as i know if you redirect the My Documents folder it automatically enables "Offline files" on the workstations and a synchronization takes place at set intervals.

After transferring the roles and policies to the new domain controller, and all the other servers, I manually edited the group policy on the DC to change the target server name for folder redirection to our new file server (EG: \\fileserver2\Users\%username%).

All the old servers have been decommisioned and switched off and things are working well on the majority of the workstations, but a weird problem arises on a few others:

If you look at the My documents folder properties, some of the machines on my network are still keeping hold of the old folder redirection path and synchronization errors are popping up all over the place even after doing a "gpupdate /force" and rebooting, this doesn't go away.

It seems to be "remembering" the OLD path and I have struggled for almost a week to figure out why and more importantly, how, to solve it.

All machines are Windows XP SP2.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
    Last edited by Clintie; 25th March 2009, 16:55.

Re: Folder redirection/Offline Files Issues - Please Help.

You have all been a great help. thank you.

Comment

????
      If you have found a solution, please share it with us to help others in the same position

If your last post was sarcasm, please remember it is less than 24 hours since you raised the issue, and all of us here contribute in our spare time, so you may not get an immediate response.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have found one solution on technet which involves re-initializing the offline files database. Process as follows:

In Folder Options, on the Offline Files tab, press CTRL+SHIFT, and then click Delete Files. The following message appears:
        The Offline Files cache on the local computer will be re-initialized. Any changes that have not been synchronized with computers on the network will be lost. Any files or folders made available offline will no longer be available offline. A computer restart is required.

Do you wish to re-initialize the cache?

Click Yes two times to restart the computer.

This worked on 2 machiens so far but keep in mind that you may lose files that have not been synchronized to the server yet or backed up to an alternative folder manually.

Will keep you all informed.
        Last edited by Clintie; 26th March 2009, 12:39.

Comment

Many thanks for posting back with your solution
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X