Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card help in XP Pro with a GEForce

I recently bought a http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pci...ter-p-755.html
    PCI 8-16 converter so that I could use a new GeForce 9500 GT on a Dell Server I converted into a desktop, the converter works I think, I plugged the new card in and I can see the screen until it hits the Windows XP screen then it disappears and i have to do a hard reboot. My on board video does not work while the PCI Express card is plugged in. I would really like to get this working does anyone have any advice Right now I have about 150 into both pieces of hardware . Any thoughts, I would hate to change out the MB on this thing as it is a nice system
    Thanks

Re: Video Card help in XP Pro with a GEForce

I tried booting in safe mode but can't see the screen, my bios has no ability to enable or disable the on board video so I can remove anything so at this point I am stuck.

Comment

Would be interesting to know what they were including with this statement:

"Please note that this lane converter may not be compatible with some higher end video cards and workstation cards."
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The saleslady made it seem like it would work fine when i told her what I had

Comment

I don't suppose you have (or a friend has) a spare card you can try in it?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

hi have you tried reseting you bios to defaults with jumpers that may help with the pci-ex, you can look up your mobo specs by simply entering the model number printed on the board or doing a search on the tower model this may help. On my ms k8 mobo simply by depressing the power button three times will reset bios to enable pci-ex when present. another option would be to see if you have the most current bios version for you mobo and some manufactures support on line bios revisions; hope this helps kid. attention must be experienced to do this or if not talked to tech at local computer store if you strike a conversation you can get some free advice lol.

Comment

Driver issue???

Did you remove the old video card drivers before you installed the new one??

Have you installed the new drivers for both the card and the lane convertor??

What happens if you start the PC in safe mode?? Can you get to windows??

Comment

Originally posted by tigershark View Post
                The saleslady made it seem like it would work fine when i told her what I had
                Well she would say that because she wants to close the sale. Most sales people are just that, sales people and not hardware compatibility experts.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

right on the web page is this disclaimer:

Please note that this lane converter may not be compatible with some higher end video cards and workstation cards. Returns for incompatibility issues are subject to 15% restocking fee.

So maybe it's not compatible with your card. The sales lady may be technically correct in terms of what the adapter does but unfortunately maybe not for your model video card.

Here's what their "chat now" support agent had to say when I asked if the adapter was compatible with your video card:

"I cannot Guarentee anything above the 8000 series, but we have had success with the 9500 GT even in an x1 to x16 adapter, so i do not believe you should have a problem.".

Comment

Working...
                  X