Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lost" my HD

Hi,
    I bought a new 500 Giga WD MyBook USB external HD. Since it's sold formatted for Mac, I had to repartition and reformat it for my WinXP Pro (SP3) system.
    I can't explain what exactly happeded, but eventually I found my system in a very queer state:
    1. The new HD got the letter drive of one of my internal hard drives (D. In the Computer Management it appears with a red bar and a "Healthy" description
    2. One of my old hard drives shows as an "Unallocated" drive, with a black bar and no letter assigned.

Looks like I've lost all my data on this unallocated drive!

Now, I would like to recover these data and hope to do it with the assistance of Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery application.

Should I first partition this drive? Will this repartitioning let me reassign a letter to the drive enabling data recovery or will it lead to a total loss of the data?

How do I get out of this maze?

Re: "Lost" my HD

Change Drive letter of your WD HDD to something near the end of the list, say U: . Remove WD HDD device, reboot machine and reconnect WD HDD. Does it show up as U: ?

2. One of my old hard drives shows as an "Unallocated" drive, with a black bar and no letter assigned.
    This means nothing, more informatio needed about it.

In the Computer Management it appears with a red bar and a "Healthy" description
    It's been a while but isn't this a Software RAID indicator?

Should I first partition this drive?
    What drive are you refering to? Also, partition NOTHING until we have a clear picture of your setup.

Finally from me, please give every step used to Format the HDD from Mac to Microsoft and what file format was used? FAT32 or NTFS
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Change Drive letter of your WD HDD to something near the end of the list, say U: . Remove WD HDD device, reboot machine and reconnect WD HDD. Does it show up as U: ?
      Changed drive letter to U. Following reboot, it does show as U.

This means nothing, more informatio needed about it.
      It's been a while but isn't this a Software RAID indicator?
      I followed the following WD document: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....Q9MjA3&p_li=&p
      Let me quote the relevant lines from this document:
      "you should see a graphical list of all available drives or devices. Find the drive listing that corresponds to the drive that you want to partition and format. It typically has a black bar indicating unallocated space"...
      "If there is a blue bar, then the drive has already been partitioned and formatted. Make sure, that if you have data on the drive, you back it up before proceeding. Once you are ready to proceed, right-click on the blue bar and choose Delete Partition... You will get a pop-up window asking you if you really want to delete the partition. Click Yes. The bar should now be black"

What drive are you refering to? Also, partition NOTHING until we have a clear picture of your setup

I referred to my OLD HD, the one which disappeared from the list of available drives when the new, MyBook, HD overtook its drive letter.

Finally from me, please give every step used to Format the HDD from Mac to Microsoft and what file format was used? FAT32 or NTFS
      I followed to instructions of the abovementioned WD document. Both my old HD and the new, MyBook hard drives are NTFS formatted.

Waiting for your further instructions.

Comment

Re: "Lost" my HD - SOLVED

Dear biggles77,
        While waiting to your answer I came accross a recovery application named TestDisk (http://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...-computer.html).
        Since my "lost" hd showed up in the Device Manager and the circumstanced seemed similar to those described in the TestDisk documentation, I decided to try it.
        Well, tried and solved my problem.
        Thanks for your efforts.

Comment

The effort was all yours. I just made some suggestions. Am pleased it has all worked out for you.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I was going to suggest GetDataBack - I'm a huge fan of this tool.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but looks like my problem required a milder solution, recreating the partition table. TestDisk managed to provide a perfect solution.

Comment

Working...
              X