Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

Team,

I am currently using windows vista home business. When I tries to install XP then it doesn't show up the hard drive.

Could you please explain what shall I do in this case.

Santosh

Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

Format your drive first?

Basically, you can upgrade an OS but not downgrade it (yes, there are tricks,but not easy)

btw, wtf is Vista Home Business?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for reply.

Sorry its Vista Business.

Santosh

Comment

Is it a SATA drive? If so you'll need to install a driver at install time (Press F6 prompt) or create install media with the drive slipstreamed. Vista can handle AHCI natively in most cases so installs the driver after OS install rather than needing it for the CD to recognise the drive.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

What are the hardware specs?
          Are you wanting to overwrite/erase everything on the computer?
          How are you accessing the Windows Setup? booting from the CD?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            Is it a SATA drive? If so you'll need to install a driver at install time (Press F6 prompt)...
            I assume you mean SCSI I've installed many o' Windows and I've never had to load drivers for SATA or IDE drives, only SCSI and SAS.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

No, i definitely had to make a slipstream disk with drivers for the SATA controller for windows XP for me new (6 months ago) laptop..

so he does mean a slipstream for XP :P
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                I assume you mean SCSI I've installed many o' Windows and I've never had to load drivers for SATA or IDE drives, only SCSI and SAS.
                No, I did mean SATA. Most drives over the last few years have AHCI support onboard natively and require an AHCI/RAID driver for XP to install unless you go into the BIOS and set the SATA operation mode to ATA/Legacy. Pretty much all Dell Optiplexes and Latitudes after the 740 and Dx20 series have this feature, but you won't notice if you use their OEM media as the drivers are slipstreamed in the factory.

One of the few good things IMO about Vista.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

nLite is the BEST program for slipstreaming SATA drivers into an XP install CD.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    No, I did mean SATA. Most drives over the last few years have AHCI support onboard natively and require an AHCI/RAID driver for XP to install unless you go into the BIOS and set the SATA operation mode to ATA/Legacy. Pretty much all Dell Optiplexes and Latitudes after the 740 and Dx20 series have this feature, but you won't notice if you use their OEM media as the drivers are slipstreamed in the factory.

One of the few good things IMO about Vista.
                    Maybe that's why I never had an issue. Always older hardware or OEM discs..... or Server 2008 on new hardware. Thanks!
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      Maybe that's why I never had an issue. Always older hardware or OEM discs..... or Server 2008 on new hardware. Thanks!
                      No worries.
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

This is a common problem with SATA drives and windows XP; I experienced the same problems; there are two solutions:

1 Install the SATA drivers during the install which is complex and sometimes difficult as you need a 2nd medium; I did not choose this way

2. In the BIOS set the controllor to mode compatible; this will allow you to install XP with the drivers available on the CD; then after having installeded XP exchange the controller drivers to the SATA drivers via the system->hardware->driver-update functionality
                        - Reboot the PC and in the BIOS change the controller back to SATA
                        - System should start with the new SATA drivers w/o a problem

This worked for me on a Lenevo R61; the approaches were given to me by the Lenevo 30 day after buy hotline.

Comment

Working...
                        X