Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

    Team,

    I am currently using windows vista home business. When I tries to install XP then it doesn't show up the hard drive.

    Could you please explain what shall I do in this case.

    Santosh

  • #2
    Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

    Format your drive first?

    Basically, you can upgrade an OS but not downgrade it (yes, there are tricks,but not easy)

    btw, wtf is Vista Home Business?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

      Thanks for reply.

      Sorry its Vista Business.

      Santosh

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

        Is it a SATA drive? If so you'll need to install a driver at install time (Press F6 prompt) or create install media with the drive slipstreamed. Vista can handle AHCI natively in most cases so installs the driver after OS install rather than needing it for the CD to recognise the drive.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

          What are the hardware specs?
          Are you wanting to overwrite/erase everything on the computer?
          How are you accessing the Windows Setup? booting from the CD?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

          Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

            Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            Is it a SATA drive? If so you'll need to install a driver at install time (Press F6 prompt)...
            I assume you mean SCSI I've installed many o' Windows and I've never had to load drivers for SATA or IDE drives, only SCSI and SAS.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

            Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

              No, i definitely had to make a slipstream disk with drivers for the SATA controller for windows XP for me new (6 months ago) laptop..

              so he does mean a slipstream for XP :P
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

                Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                I assume you mean SCSI I've installed many o' Windows and I've never had to load drivers for SATA or IDE drives, only SCSI and SAS.
                No, I did mean SATA. Most drives over the last few years have AHCI support onboard natively and require an AHCI/RAID driver for XP to install unless you go into the BIOS and set the SATA operation mode to ATA/Legacy. Pretty much all Dell Optiplexes and Latitudes after the 740 and Dx20 series have this feature, but you won't notice if you use their OEM media as the drivers are slipstreamed in the factory.

                One of the few good things IMO about Vista.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

                  nLite is the BEST program for slipstreaming SATA drivers into an XP install CD.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

                    Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    No, I did mean SATA. Most drives over the last few years have AHCI support onboard natively and require an AHCI/RAID driver for XP to install unless you go into the BIOS and set the SATA operation mode to ATA/Legacy. Pretty much all Dell Optiplexes and Latitudes after the 740 and Dx20 series have this feature, but you won't notice if you use their OEM media as the drivers are slipstreamed in the factory.

                    One of the few good things IMO about Vista.
                    Maybe that's why I never had an issue. Always older hardware or OEM discs..... or Server 2008 on new hardware. Thanks!
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

                    Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

                      Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      Maybe that's why I never had an issue. Always older hardware or OEM discs..... or Server 2008 on new hardware. Thanks!
                      No worries.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: XP pro Installation : not showing Hard drive

                        This is a common problem with SATA drives and windows XP; I experienced the same problems; there are two solutions:

                        1 Install the SATA drivers during the install which is complex and sometimes difficult as you need a 2nd medium; I did not choose this way

                        2. In the BIOS set the controllor to mode compatible; this will allow you to install XP with the drivers available on the CD; then after having installeded XP exchange the controller drivers to the SATA drivers via the system->hardware->driver-update functionality
                        - Reboot the PC and in the BIOS change the controller back to SATA
                        - System should start with the new SATA drivers w/o a problem

                        This worked for me on a Lenevo R61; the approaches were given to me by the Lenevo 30 day after buy hotline.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X