No announcement yet.

Transfering data between Windows XP installations...?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering data between Windows XP installations...?

An error occured during an upgrade install of Windows xp and no matter what I tried, (boot cd, disc, Repair, etc....) the corrupt installation was unable to continue. I created a new directory (from the C: prompt) and installed Windows XP again on the same partition. I want to trasfer all my installed programs and files to the new installation and then delete the original. I have quite a bit of data on the drive, much of which belongs to clients and is of a sensative nature..... i.e. I can't send it out to this done. If it cant be done and I need to reformat, what backup software can I use to backup about 20 gigs of Apps and files?

Installing XP on the same partition, then trying to recover progams is a really not so wise idea. You'd be better off by installing XP on a new hard disk, and then reconnecting the old drive as slave. You can then copy any data from the old drive to the new one. Make note that you cannot just copy installed programs, you need to reinstall them.

As for backup - I sugget you ghost the entire drive, just to be on the safe side. You can compress the image so it'll be much smaller than 20GB. Also, you can burn the result into DVDs or multiple CDs. Then copy anything you need as described above.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services