XP can not ping by name only IP address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP can not ping by name only IP address

I'm stumped on this one. User reported that he cannot browse the web. On further evaluation he can't ping website names but if I put in an IP address the browser will load the home page. I can ping adresses but not names. DNS server is fine, in fact at this moment I have the DNS manually set to our ISP and not going through the domain DNS. I have run the NETSH commands to reset IP, uninstalled antivirus, run a Winsock repair. What next?

Thanks for you help,
    Brian

Re: XP can not ping by name only IP address

Roughly in order of my own thought process:
    1. Did you run IPCONFIG /flushdns just to make sure that all stale DNS records were removed from the client machine?
    2. Have you checked the HOSTS file?
    3. Have you played with nslookup at all to see if any more info can be discovered?
    4. Used Wireshark to analyze DNS traffic to and from the machine?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

OK,

Ran IPCONFIG /flushdns
      Hosts file is normal
      When I do a NSLOOKUP it seems to work, it hits my firewall and then responds with the correct IP addresses.
      I'll download and look at the Wireshark - i'm not familiar with that one.

BTW tracert responds with "unable to resolve target" on any domain name but an IP address traces fine.

Nonapeptide, can you give me a hint on how to use this Wireshark utility?

Other ideas?
      Last edited by blinn; 12th March 2009, 23:17.

Comment

That's strange that nslookup resolves just fine but other methods don't. You used NSLookup on external domains, like google.com? What type of NetBIOS node type is that machine? (ipconfig /all and then look at the "Node Type:" entry)

Wireshark is a protocol analyzer. So is Microsoft Network Monitor 3. They're both free. Just fire it up, tell it what NIC to analyze and then try to resolve some hostnames. See what the stream of TCP/IP data says and look for any interesting responses. The basics are pretty intuitive and loads of simple tutorials abound on the interwebs.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

You could also try the "repair connection" option.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Have you checked if the right dns servers are showed in a ipconfig /all
            My first thought is that possibly a "dns changer" virus is active on the computer or some other corruption. And in addition the network firewall is confirured to allow TCP 53 and UDP 53 to external only for the dns servers on your network and ports above 1024 are blocked (servers use port 53, clients use dynamicly assigned port above 1024 to 65535)

What dns server nslookup finds? Is this dns problem only with just one client, other clients don't have dns problems?

Now that you wrote nslookup does resolve, could it be that you recently deployed SP3 for windows XP on that computer, if that is the case then download the Installation Package and try to reinstall sp3 on that client.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

try adding the open dns servers and see if that works until you have more time to troubleshoot the issue.

Comment

Could it be a recursion problem? It doesn't seem like it since nslookup works but you never know. When you run nslookup for a domain that your DNS servers are not authorative for what results come back? If the correct results come back then I don't think recursion is the problem. If the results come back as a list of root hint servers then that means that recursion is not being performed by the DNS servers which would make me think it's a client DNS resolver problem.

Comment

Is that machine allowed to query DNS through your firewall???

Comment

The thread is a month old and the OP hasn't logged in since two hours after he posted his one and only followup. I think he's forgotten all about us. :'(
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                    X