Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Login to XP pc joined to domain question

Good morning!

I've got an XP pc running an application that can't run as a service so it has to be logged in to all of the time.

I have done the following to set up the pc to login automagically upon reboot:

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: String Value // Value Name: DefaultUserName
    Setting for Value Data: [Enter the account name to be automatically logged on]

Data Type: String Value // Value Name: DefaultPassword
    Setting for Value Data: [Enter the account password]

Data Type: String Value // Value Name: AutoAdminLogon
    Setting for Value Data: [0 = Disabled / 1 = Enabled]

No problems with that - works as described. THe issue that I have is that in my domain I have a pre logon warning message set via GP that is displayed and you must click through before the login window appears. Due to this, the reg hacks for auto login do not work.

Anyone have a quick and easy fix to bypass this warning message so that it truely logs in automagically?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Automatic Login to XP pc joined to domain question

Create a new OU for the computer and move it there, copy the GPO and create a new one from it. Link the new GPO to the new OU. Remove the pre login warning message setting.

That way all of your other GPO settings will be applied except for the warning message setting.

Comment

I tried that Joe.

For background, I have the majority of my GPO's pretty granular. I have 1 specific policy that applies to the domain that is just for adding in teh legal logon notice.

So when I create a new OU and move the pc to that, then attempt to apply a GPO to that OU it doesn't work as the GPO is essentially empty ( no message).
      Chris

Comment

Copy the domain GPO that has the message in it. Create a new GPO from this copy. Link this new GPO to the new OU and move the computer to it. Disable the message in this GPO. Block inheritance on this GPO so that it doesn't get the message setting from the parent GPO.

Now normally the proccessing of GPO's is like this:

LSDOU = Local, Site, Domain, OU

If a setting exists in the D and at the OU then the OU will have precedence, unless the setting at the D is enforced.
        If a setting exists in the D but not in the OU then the D takes precedence, unless the OU blocks inheritance.

In your case you have a setting in the D but not the OU so you have to block inheritance at the OU to keep the D setting from being applied. This means that whenever you change something in the D in the future, you'll also have to change it in the OU as the D settings will no longer override the OU.

Hopefully this makes sense.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 12th March 2009, 15:44.

Comment

Makes sense.

Amazing though that it has to be done that way....

/me scratches his head.

THanks for the input Joe I appreciate it.
          Chris

Comment

Working...
          X